New info on the missing explosives- Russia involved

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Russian special forces troops removed many of Saddam Hussein's weapons out of Iraq into neighboring Syria in the weeks before the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003, The Washington Times reports in Thursday's editions.<br /><br />The paper quotes John A. Shaw, the deputy undersecretary of defense for international technology security, as saying he believes the Russian troops, working with Iraqi intelligence, "almost certainly" removed the high-explosive material that went missing from the Al-Qaqaa facility, south of Baghdad.<br /><br />"The Russians brought in, just before the war got started, a whole series of military units," Shaw said. "Their main job was to shred all evidence of any of the contractual arrangements they had with the Iraqis. The others were transportation units."<br /><br />Shaw, who was in charge of cataloguing the tons of weapons provided Iraq by foreign suppliers, told the Times reliable information he recently received from two European intelligence agencies implicates Moscow.<br /><br />Most of Saddam's most powerful arms were systematically separated from other arms like mortars, bombs and rockets, and sent to Syria and Lebanon, and possibly to Iran, the paper said, quoting Shaw.<br /><br />The defense undersecretary said an investigation into Russia's involvement in dispersing Saddam's 380 tons of explosives was ongoing.<br /><br />Disclosure of the missing explosives Monday from the Al-Qaqaa weapons depot in a New York Times story was used by the Democratic presidential campaign of Sen. John Kerry, who accused the Bush administration of failing to secure the material.<br /><br />Shaw said the depot was known to the U.S. and was closely monitored. He said it would not have been possible for the special explosives, RDX and HMX, to have been removed.<br /><br />"…If the stuff disappeared, it had to have gone before we got there."," he told the Washington Times.<br /><br />The paper quoted a second senior defense official as saying the Russian units in charge of dispersing Saddam's weapons "were dispatched beginning in January 2003 and by March had destroyed hundreds of pages of documents on Russian arms supplies to Iraq while dispersing arms to Syria.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New info on the missing explosives- Russia involved

maybe russia needs a whoopin next..........oh sorry there my war monger side coming out. :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

M&R, ROFLMAO!!
58.gif

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and that surprises who?<br /> with all the sattalites we had watching, who the heck missed 380 tons of material movement just days before an invasion? goes to show how much thought and planning went into it. we did the same for afghanistan when the freedom fighters also known as al-queda and Taliban,were our best buddies. what a better way to find out how the russian war machine worked then to keep the pot stirred while observing with "technical" advisors. they do it, we do it, its not very suprisng to me why should it be to our current administration. unless they actually believe all the propaganda they speak.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

"Freedom fighters"...I stopped reading there.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Iraq Video Shows U.S. Soldiers Checking Missing Arms, ABC Says <br />Oct. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Explosives that went missing from Iraq's al-Qaqaa facility were still present after the U.S.-led invasion, according to ABC News, which aired a videotape shot at the site last year by a network affiliate. <br /><br />U.S. soldiers are shown breaking into a bunker and then looking into crates and barrels marked explosive'' on the tape from KSTP, a station in St. Paul, Minnesota. KSTP's crew was embedded with the U.S. 101st Airborne Division when it passed through al-Qaqaa on April 18, 2003, ABC said on its Web site.

KaGee

Admiral

Soooo Knobby,<br /><br />There WERE WMD's in IRAQ??

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

been following this story. a couple of facts:<br />there wasn't 400 or 377 tons, there was 219T<br />according to UN papers. when UN inspected sight<br />just prior to invasion, all they did was check<br />the seals on the door, they never re-counted<br />the 219T from 1991. the origional inspectors<br />made a note that the bldg. had 2 large ventilation<br />shafts that could easily be removed and allow the<br />explosives to be removed without breaking the seal.<br />as for the video (saw on fox last night), it does<br />show some weapons there, but surely not 219 tons.

aspeck

Staff member

This morning saw the sat photos of semi's pulled up to the bunkers days before the war - evidence points to some being Russian and traveling to Syria. Hummm, kind of makes you scratch your head, don't it?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I used to work at a plant that manufactured RDX, HMX, PBX, black powder and a few other things. we shaped,pressed and machined the stuff. its not WMD. its HE. its also not very difficult to manufacture, transport and store. <br /> the russians are haveing there own security problems on the depots they have. butsome of the stuff was there when we were, I cant blame the soldiers cause most have no clue what the stuff looks like or does and they were not told to secure the facility. was not part of the "Plan". some one in intel dropped the ball. in fact its been dropped so many times I think its should be called a basket ball.<br /> RDX and HMX can be used to make all kinds of shaped charges from tiny ones to shoot rivets off of bridge structures, without damaging the steel, to imploding buildings into themselves. all it takes is traing and a bit of practice. if done properly its amazing how powerful this stuff is. <br /> as far as 12footer is concerned, I guess he has no clue how much traing in gurillia (terror) tactics we gave the Taliban and al-queda. if no one wants to remember who and what training they got we will get to see how effective it really was. if you dont believe it ask the russians. the taliban,al-queda and mujhadien whooped arse on them with a technically inferior force. but it did allow us to watch the russian war machine in action. now they will watch ours. so like it or not we are going to fight people we trained. the sooner someone sees it the better equipped we will be to deal with it. after 10 years or so the demoralized russians finally gave up .<br /> good luck and keep posting

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think ABC and NBC need a serious overhaul. Too many times in the last month or so they have been caught doing "yellow jurnalism". <br /><br />I don't really care who they support, but their methods leave a lot to be desired. Their credability is out the window.<br /><br />Mark.

KennyKenCan

Commander

So now the truth surfaces!<br /><br />Now, all I've heard for the last 2 days, is Sen. John Kerry continually attacking President Bush over this missing 380 tons of explosives, and how the President has failed this country!<br /><br />Well, now we know the truth, and the truth is, that there are only 3 tons of explosives missing, NOT 380 TONS (that's 6,000 lbs of explosives missing, not 760,000 lbs), as purputrated by Kerry, and that these explosives where moved out of Iraq in the days leading up to the invasion, not while U.S. Troops where there, and that the President had made this information public at the time that it happened! We saw the convoy, but the Russians complained that we where attacking them, when our aircraft went after the convoy, as the Russians assisted the Iraqi's remove these weapons!<br /><br />This is just further proof of just how desperate John Kerry has become, and just goes to show, how far he will go with inconclusive data, that was verified by only the media, to make his decisions.<br /><br />Where was Sen. John Kerry's outrage against the Russians for helping the Iraqis?<br /><br />Ladies and Gentlemen, the Jr. Senator from Massachuesetts, just lied to you, AGAIN!<br /><br />This is the man we want leading our nation?<br /><br />I don't think so!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

damn good post Kenny, where did this info come<br />from? this "truth" might just push GW over the<br />top (I hope)...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think no one knows the truth of what happened over there. Or no one will ever tell the truth. We probably have the smoking gun on the Russians, but dont want to use it cause we dont need another war right now.<br /><br />Honestly, it doesnt matter, there are plenty of sources of bomb materials available.<br /><br />Ken

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As long as Kerry get's elected, I don't think the explosives will work anymore.

KennyKenCan

Commander

My sources are ABC News, CBS News, CNN, and FOX News! <br /><br />This is what they were reporting on the radio last night.<br /><br />But, I have noticed, that they are no longer reporting anything about that now. Their not even mentioning this incident at all!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Quote: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Jr. Senator from Massachuesetts, just lied to you, AGAIN!<br /><br />This is the man we want leading our nation?<br /><br />I don't think so!"<br /><br />If lying disqualifies anyone for president, then Bush is out also.