New Here

dkhntr

Seaman
Hi all, I am new here, From St. Paul Minnesota. I have been around boats most of my life. Mostly bowriders, and dad has a houseboat on the Miss. river. I also worked on the tug boats in St. Paul harbor for a year. I am just getting my own boat for a family of five this year. <br /><br />I was looking for a good starter boat and am interested in a 17' 1984 rinker open bow with an 80hp merc on it. Just wondering what you guys thought of it.<br /><br />~chris

D

DJ

Re: New Here

Nothing inherantly wrong with the boat or the engine. Here's what I'd do:<br /><br />1. Hear the engine run-check compression.<br />2. Pull the lower oil "fill" screw on the lower unit-after running. The oil should look like oil, not grey or white. Look for excess metal shavings on the screw.<br />3. Boat-get inside and stomp around on the floor. It should be solid everywhere.<br />4. Knock on the transom with your knuckles. It should sound like knocking on a solid wood door. A thud means rotten wood.<br /><br />You sound like you're pretty handy. Seat bases and cosmetic items shouldn't be a problem to repair. The floor and transom require major surgery.<br /><br />Good Luck-Let us know! :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: New Here

Agreed. But in addition, a family of five in a 17footer with 80HP is going to dissapoint you performance wise.<br />I would hold-out for a >20foot with >115HP for a good boat for your family. However, it all depends on the boat buget, and what you intend to haul the boat with (if you intend to haul it). A 20footer with 3 digit HP is quite a bit heavier than what you are looking at.<br />Welcome to the iboats forum, Chris.