New here.

bullis

Cadet
Hello,

New member and hopefully first time boat owner in 3-6 months. :)
Looking forward to the venture, I hope boat people are as nice as motorcycle people. *hint, hint, nudge, nudge*

Anyway, I digress...

There are so many boats out there, it is a confusing land slide, but I believe I am surfing through it. I have some boats that I am interested in narrowed down. Was looking for real life owner experiences. All I have to go on so far is salesperson talk, which is taken with a grain of salt, they are, in fact, trying to sell me a boat.

Conditions:
I do want to buy new. *shrugs* I just do, I consider it my contribution to the economy paying MSRP. The boat will be kept for life. When/if I want bigger/better/different then additional boat(s) will be purchased.

I want fuel injected. Dinkering with carbs on motorcycles has made me bitter. I would much rather use a code reader on the Mercruiser to diagnose problems than mess with fouled carbs.

I want a deck boat. Boat outings will have 10 people. 4-6 young kids potentially. A changeroom/portapotty a must.

Our budget is $30,000

Models I am looking at:

2008 Bayliner 197 - I am shocked at dealer mark ups. I have seen a $9500 price difference between dealerships on this boat. This was the first boat I was interested in, but I believe I like the other two better. Regarding the fiberglass hull, we live in 100+ degree summers and the sun rots everything. I've seen too many faded/weathered/ugly fiberjobs it makes me concerned. Can you avoid an ugly fiberglass boat after 10+ years? keep it covered in your driveway?

2008 Sun Tracker Sun Deck - For some reason the aluminum hull is attracting me. I am concerned about the "treated" deck though. Is it going to rot after 10 years of water abuse?

2008 Tahoe 195 I/O or maybe even the 215 I/O

All 3 boats I planned on putting the 4.3 MPI Mercruiser in it.
I know I should not ask this since we are talking about pushing a boat through liquid concrete, but how is fuel economy amongst these boats?
I know I should only be asking gallons per hour, but my mind thinks in mpg and mph... I saw some statistics that running 30mph or so can get as high as 4mpg in a fiberglass boat of these sizes.

Uses of the boat:
- Day/Weekend outings, sleeping ON the boat if possible or camping on shore with tent.

- In-Laws will most likely take it all year long on weekends for fishingg.

- Tow the kids on the rafts/boards/skis/etc.

- Floating for hours on end reading a good book enjoying the sun.

Thanks in advance for any input.

IOSLVR

Seaman
Re: New here.

Can't help with exactly what your looking for but do agree on the fuel injection (also a current motorcycle owner). Take your time with the research. Welcome aboard and keep in touch, these guys and gals are great!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hello,

New member and hopefully first time boat owner in 3-6 months. :)
Looking forward to the venture, I hope boat people are as nice as motorcycle people. *hint, hint, nudge, nudge*
47 years "rebel"....but like any HD Forum....don't ask an OIL QUESTION!!!:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

highly recommend deckboat, this is my 1999 Chris Craft 230 5.7 L VP seats 13, head etc you want. plenty of storage. with that capacity you want atleast a 5.0 L. we tow tubes, ski, wake board no problem with full load.

Attachments

• 9f_3.jpg
    9f_3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0
  • 76_3.jpg
    76_3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • e3_3.jpg
    e3_3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with KCook. A 19' boat is going to get awefully small with 10 people and all their junk. A 22+' with V-8 power would be better.

NOW is the right time to buy. Dealers would rather not hold a boat in inventory over the winter.

bullis

Cadet

I agree with KCook. A 19' boat is going to get awefully small with 10 people and all their junk. A 22+' with V-8 power would be better.

NOW is the right time to buy. Dealers would rather not hold a boat in inventory over the winter.

22' is just too much money with the upgraded motor. I am really looking at the Tracker Party Deck 21' (20' 7"). Its a good 1000lbs lighter than a fiberglass of comparable size.

It has the amenities I think we are looking for: changeroom w/portapotty, cooler, sink, live bait well with front fishing seats for the in-laws.

It won't be 10 people consistently, maybe at times.... it is for me, wife, 2 kids and 2 more kids down the road. So more like 6-8 on an average outing. 10-12 if EVERYONE comes. I'll have to make the family buy a couple of jet skis if it is 10-12 regularly hehe...

I am rather pissed with the first marine dealer I went to, they had bayliners and four winns there. Not only was the price astronomical, I asked about motor replacement should it blow up at some point. I have no problem having 2 motors, 1 as spare while another is being rebuilt should it come to that...

He said they can get them for around $2500. From what I am seeing online more like $6500+ (4.3L MPI Mercruiser)

Can anyone clarify?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

For a aluminum solution I would also take a look at tri-toons. Room for plenty of people and ride better in rough water than the aluminum Party Deck.

Kelly

bullis

Cadet

For a aluminum solution I would also take a look at tri-toons. Room for plenty of people and ride better in rough water than the aluminum Party Deck.

Kelly

That crossed my mind too....but do they feel like a barge towing a raft? Do they have any nimbleness at all?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

True, quick turns are not their strong suit :D

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Our budget is $30,000

Models I am looking at:

2008 Bayliner 197

You cant be serious a 19' bayliner....... maybe a 15,000 boat......on a very very good day..

I have a client who just bought a 185 and althougth there have been good report's here is this forum..........not this cowboy not even...:D

bullis

Cadet

Our budget is $30,000

Models I am looking at:

2008 Bayliner 197

You cant be serious a 19' bayliner....... maybe a 15,000 boat......on a very very good day..

I have a client who just bought a 185 and althougth there have been good report's here is this forum..........not this cowboy not even...:D

The bayliner is off the list, it was just the first boat we looked at. Anyway, the MSRP in bayliner.com is $27,000 configured with the options we wanted.
+ shipping + tax.