new GM 5.7 engine holes near oil filter

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
swapping merc 5.0lx 1988 /alpha 1 gen 1 to a new gm 5.7 base engine ,my question is there are several holes near oil filter ,one hole, directly above oil filter , is factory plugged, why? then i have two holes with threads on them ,one is above factory plugged, then the other is near the 5 spark plug hole, now on my old motor i did not have all these holes ,only hole i had is where low pressure alarm system went into ,do i plug these extra holes, or plug open holes and use factory plugged hole for alarm pressure switch ,any help appreciated ,at work so no pics till later,if you need to see

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
The one above the oil filter is a oil pressure port generally used for an oil pressure safety switch if a marine application, often not used in automotive application. Other holes, if going to coolant passages can be coolant temp or drain plugs. If blind holes, may be for knock sensor. Just make sure everything from the old motor will mount correctly and anything that can leak is plugged.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
not sure about your engine but on engines with remote oil filter the bypass is in the oil filter puck that plumbs to the oil filter. In other words the oil filter doesnt have a bypass valve since it included in the oil filter puck. So if you are bolting your oil filter directly to block get one with an bypass in the filter for cold starts etc.

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
im listening to ya searay 205 but confused on this part , So if you are bolting your oil filter directly to block get one with an bypass in the filter for cold starts etc. i am bolting directly to block ,can you please explain for cold starts,thanx

alldodge

Staff member
Just get the GM or Merc equivalent filter, it will have what the manufacture requires. Many filters have a anti-drain back valve. This would be necessary if you were going remote, and your not

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
I was referencing the internal bypass valve in the oil filter which allows oil to bypass if differential pressure in the filter exceeds 8-11psig. The merc specked oil filter for my boat doesn't have a bypass valve. It is built into the remote oil filter adapter. The anti-drain back valve is so oil doesn't drain out of the filter (for short durations).

alldodge

Staff member
I was referencing the internal bypass valve in the oil filter which allows oil to bypass if differential pressure in the filter exceeds 8-11psig. The merc specked oil filter for my boat doesn't have a bypass valve. It is built into the remote oil filter adapter.
Never seen one in a remote filter housing, got a pic?

There is a over pressure valve built into the filter mount on the block. This is so if the filter clogs and pressure exceeds manufactures spec (70 to 80 psi), it opens and allows unfiltered oil supply motor.

markvoilb.jpg

Mine is plugged because I'm running a HP oil pump

Photo1116.jpg

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
hello, found pic from car forum ,but these are the holes im asking about ,plus plugged hole above oil filter,where would the low pressure alarm go ,the plugged hole or letter B from pic

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 3.17.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 3.17.42 PM.png
    360.4 KB · Views: 12

alldodge

Staff member
A is a blind hole, no worries
B might be the water jacket, but may be another test port for oil. I would remove the plug below it (oil pressure port) and use that plug and install in B

Can find out if its oil before firing up. Your going to use a drill to pre oil the bearings before starting thru the Dizzy hole, right? Spin the oil pump and see if oil comes out

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
Your going to use a drill to pre oil the bearings before starting thru the Dizzy hole, right? Spin the oil pump and see if oil comes out definately alldodge thanx

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
primed engine tonight ,was getting steady 40 lbs ,but most important no leaks even thru letter A or letter B as per the pic i posted ,so im thinking might just be threaded for auto applications?,i guess

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
Want to add something,so I put oil in oil filter and put on ,then added 5 qts of oil waited 30 minutes to settle in pan ,when I checked my dipstick had no oil up to dipstick ,but know I put 5 qts of oil could my new GM 5.7 base engine has bigger oil pan ?

newtoboat101

Chief Petty Officer
I was told and it does fit that my old motor ,a1988 5.0 lx dipstick would match ,it's the long dipstick that comes up to front of head(cylinder) ,kind of like a z shape

Scott06

Admiral
primed engine tonight ,was getting steady 40 lbs ,but most important no leaks even thru letter A or letter B as per the pic i posted ,so im thinking might just be threaded for auto applications?,i guess
Yeah If I recall there is a tapped hole that goes into the flywheel area ...