new fuel pump...no fuel

65holiday

Seaman
put on new fuel pump, hoses look ok,two tanks switchable. should i get new filters and line,clamps or do i have to somehow prime fuel pump? i may unbolt fuel pump to see if lobe is ok or should i check to see if the valves are moving (timing chain)... it ran great two weeks ago drove it to the dock and now nothing!

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new fuel pump...no fuel

what kind of engine does it have some have a pushrod that rides on the cam and if you didnt have it up when you installed the pump it wont work ... like i say some engines but i dont know what kind your working on

65holiday

Seaman

it is a 110 mercruiser... old one... i felt inside where the pump rod would ride against the cam and i felt a sleeve that rotated freely. it did not feel eccentric like a lobe , i thought it may be riding on and eccentric journal on the cam. does this help...i did not feel a rod but could open it up to investigate.

65holiday

Seaman

the air leak thing could be it also... the fuel filters are a few years old and the lines and clamps could be iffy... can i unhook the line and fill the float bowl to see if it runs that way? i app your help guys!

65holiday

Seaman

will get new fiter and line from one tank to sediment bowl... guess i'll start there

65holiday

Seaman

there is a tee off tube at the carb that feeds back to a tee just before the fuel filter..if the float is down and the bowl empty, could this be pulling air back down to the tee just in front of the fliter where the main line comes in?

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you tryed pouring a little gas down the carb to see if you can get it to start

65holiday

Seaman

finally got her going, i used an outboard primer ball to fill up the system and she's running fine... some one over the years may have put the in line check valve at the top right in front of the carb instead of down at the bottom before the fuel filter, i will investigate and re-plumb if necessary. thanks for your help!