New Fuel Line Size

MNhunter1

Ensign
Looking to build a new fuel line/bulb from 12 gallon portable to '84 115hp TOP. 5/16" or 3/8" line recommended? Any preferred primer bulb?

airshot

Rear Admiral
I use 3/8" on my merc 40 hp outboard. That is what was on it and the fitting off the 17 gal built in tank is for 3/8" hose. Needed ??? Who knows, but ordered an N1 hose with fittings and supposed to be a premium ball. Well rated and recomended !! Company is called " Larand" in Fla. Haven't received it yet, but supposed to be premium quality, unlike that gray junk.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I use nothing but OEM primer bulbs
BRP preferred but Merc will do

I used the Quicksilver diamond shaped bulb for many years and its performance was stellar. Several years ago I bought another boat and had quite a bit of rework to do and part of that was the OEM bulb and about 3' of hose in a package for a sizzling $35.00. I couldn't believe it.

After trying to use this thing I gave up......very hard to push and you could never tell when the fuel line was full like on the diamond bulb. So, was in wallyworld one day and in the sports dept was an aftermarket bulb and I decided to rip the OEM out and install this one. Happy camper.....works like the diamond shape.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I used the Quicksilver diamond shaped bulb for many years and its performance was stellar. Several years ago I bought another boat and had quite a bit of rework to do and part of that was the OEM bulb and about 3' of hose in a package for a sizzling $35.00. I couldn't believe it.

After trying to use this thing I gave up......very hard to push and you could never tell when the fuel line was full like on the diamond bulb. So, was in wallyworld one day and in the sports dept was an aftermarket bulb and I decided to rip the OEM out and install this one. Happy camper.....works like the diamond shape.
My current primer setup is almost 10 years old. Still works as advertised. Stored out of the sun under the back hatch which surely helps with longivity

Not a fan of prefabbed fuel line assemblies. They typically use inexpensive, unrated fuel hose. I make my own up using OEM (BRP) bulb and 8 feet of Trident, #365 Type A1-15 barrier hose. Bought an Oetike clamp setup to ensure a positive seal on the connections.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My current primer setup is almost 10 years old. Still works as advertised. Stored out of the sun under the back hatch which surely helps with longivity

Not a fan of prefabbed fuel line assemblies. They typically use inexpensive, unrated fuel hose. I make my own up using OEM (BRP) bulb and 8 feet of Trident, #365 Type A1-15 barrier hose. Bought an Oetike clamp setup to ensure a positive seal on the connections.
Yessir, found that out, never saw so much junk hose on the market as there is today.. Found this company called "Larand" they make premium fuel lines and connectors, all made in USA, A1 rated hose material, premium fittings of your choice. Make there own bulbs which are used by military. Found them highly rated in other boat forums. Have one on the way.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Found this company called "Larand" they make premium fuel lines and connectors, all made in USA
Guessing not everyone has acess to import /export data to verify such claims…..lol
Lots of traffic from Taiwan and Miami ;)

Not saying their assemblies are not good quality. Just pointing out you can import Merc tank fittings from Tiawan, assemble the parts in the US to met the “virtually all” requirement, then advertise “Made in USA“ even if technically only assembled here.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
They have a US military supply rating and are very well known in the shipping industry. They mfgr everything in house. Do a little research rather than just make false claims.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
They have a US military supply rating and are very well known in the shipping industry. They mfgr everything in house. Do a little research rather than just make false claims.
I did a little research.......found they employee three (3) people working in a small industrial warehouse complex in Popano Beach (google maps).

The on-line business fuelconnectionstore.com operated out of the same address from 2010 to 2022

Found them as importer/consignee of multiple shipments of marine products coming from Taiwan on the Commerce Department website.

Can post the date of shipment, HTS code, Carrier and bill of lading for fuel connected parts coming from Taiwan if you would like.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Time will tell, a local marina that services high end yachts uses them exclusivly and has for years as does the Naval equipment supplier down there. Custom built to my specs, all N1 braided fuel hose for 70 bucks shipped to my home. If the US Navy uses them, good enough for me...