new floor starcraft 16ft

Brian J

Seaman Apprentice
Hi ya fellas! I have sold my 14 and made some changes to it for the better. Picked up a 16 starcraft and found the captin used some vinal scraps and cheap plywood. I have since removed and found a few leaks which I took care of. I also removed the center console and stern bulge pumbs. One thing to consider he could not develop a floor for the deep v in the bow or the last few feet. Now I would like a floor as flat as possible from stern to bow only the rise to the stern from the bow rises up considerably. I have deep gunnels along the sides which also rise to the bow but will allow a slot to insert the floor. Iam looking forward to cheap help. By the way Thanks for your help.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new floor starcraft 16ft

Brian,I had a 16' starcraft also.Side console.What I did was take the little bench out at the front of the boat and then I built a lockable storage compartment.Gave me someplace to store my gear and really didn't take away any fishing space.For the floor all I did was chamfer the edge of the plywood to sit on the side of the boat,when it fit the way I wanted I put 2x4's under it to help support it.Takes a little puttering around but well worth it when your done.

Brian J

Seaman Apprentice

I see. The boat had a vynal floor that was screwed into the ribs of the hull or floor. They never bothered to go into the V.The problem was everytime you dropped something it would end up under the floor because they never ran it into the channel along the sides. (I found manyitems yesterday as I ripped it all out)So if I built something like yours and took away the "Deep V" on the floor that would work..I have this steel plate on the top of the bow that is about two maybe three feet. However it does not come down far enough to allow me to build over the V. Do you have pictures?

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Brian ,I don't have any pictures and I sold the boat last year.When you say the steel plate does not come down far enough to build over the V I'm not sure what you mean.Can you post a pic or sketch to give us a better idea of what you have?