New Fisherman on order

Jefff

Cadet
Yes, I just ordered an 1800 Fisherman with a 150 hp Mercury Verado. By the time I added all of the options and the Verado I payed way more than I had originally planned. I figure in a couple of years I will have forgotten about how much I payed while I'm thouroughly enjoying the boat. I assume only other Lund will understand this.<br /><br />This will be my first boat and I would like to hear about all of your experiences. There doesn't seem to be much activity in this forum. Hopefully other Lund owners will find us here.<br /><br />Jeff

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Fisherman on order

Hey Jeff, congrats on the new "first" boat.<br />And welcome to iboats.<br />Your question might be better answered in the Boat topics and Questions (not engine topics) forum and I will move it there.<br />Again, welcome to iboats.

richet

Cadet

Jeff you will no doubt be happy with the Lund. I have had the privelage of utilizing my Dad's 1850 Tyee for the past 5 years and I have recently puchased my own 1800 Fisherman. I have yet to get the Fisherman onto the water, hopefully this weekend.<br /><br />The fisherman has a very similar hull style to the tyee and I do know they ride great and handle well in big water.<br /><br />What options did you add to your boat to run the cost up?

Jefff

Cadet

L8TR --- I.m trying to not think about the cost. <br />My additions were Captains chair, bow bolsters and pads, trolling motor, swim platform, LCX25C Fishfinder/GPS combo and of course the Mercury 150 Verado. How about you? What options did you add?<br /><br />Tell me about your experiences. I'm not scheduled for delivery until June 15.

richet

Cadet

My options include, minkota trolling motor with co-pilot, 9.9 kicker, 3 bank on-board charger, depth finder, swim platform, bow cushions, I opted for the 4.3l in-board. I have a young family so this will be a dual purpose boat.<br /><br />What sold me on the Lund was durng a two day fishing tourney and the wind was nasty, we were able to fish in 3-4ft waves with no problem and feel safe. I also like the depth of the boat as I feel safe with kids, the pro v's are too low for me. I fish in Saskatchewan Canada and the wind is generally blowing so the full windshield with deep bow are desired.<br /><br />I got the boat out on the water last weekend for the first time.

mtemple

Cadet

I have had a 1800 Lund Fisherman now for three years. Very well put together - dry - easy access to most everything and to this point no problems at all. Use it for both freshwater and bay fishing and also for towing my kids around on tubes, skiis you name it.

Jefff

Cadet

I'm anxiously waiting for my boat.<br /><br />L8TR - Sounds like a nice setup.<br /><br />Bomber - I had planned on using the boat primarilly for lakes however I have been thinking that I might like to take the boat into the bay. What do you go through after having the boat in the salt. I know that you have to run fresh water through the motor and rinse the salt off the boat. What effort do you go through to assure that your boat stays in good shape for many years?

Gopher

Cadet

We decided that a "biggish" simple open aluminum boat would get us out camping by the water better than our sailboat. Lund has a good reputation and Alaskan hull thickness is slightly greater than most. We wanted 18 ft hull to handle waves that kick up in the San Juans with the two of us and camping gear. At the expense of weight, we did opt for the flat open Alaskan interior over the simpler lighter base model. Not very many of these seem to make it onto the used market so we ordered a new one late summer 2002 with delivery expected in October - November.
Genmar took forever to fit our boat into the production line and we finally received it in Februray - March 2003. It took several months fiddling around to set up the details for our use and we went out once or twice late that summer. I'm glad we didn't wait later in the year to order it or we would have gotten skunked for all of 2003.

Similarly, used motors in the 40 - 60 hp (tiller) range don't seem to sell at a high discount relative to new so we ended up choosing a new Johnson 40hp two-stroke. It is very much a big brother to the 4 hp deluxe we had on the sailboat. They even use the same alignment ring for installing the same charging kit. I like the time-tested simple design of this motor. The quieter 4-stroke motors were tempting but had to afford right after buying the hull. I figure with the few hours I actually run this motor, the overall environmental impact (in some sort of absolute units) is not really very different between the two. The spec sheet for the motor lists noise level at 85 dBA at several feet distance. Technically acceptable for 8 hour exposure, but I usually use earplugs when cruising. After switching to a stainless prop with slightly higher pitch than stock, we top out at 30 mph with flat seas, and give up about 10% when wind-waves build up to 2 - 3 feet. The Alaskan hull handles the steep choppy waves around the San Juan islands with confidence. The only water that gets in is spray blow over the gunwales in a cross-wind.