New Engine

magicbandit

Cadet
The block on my 1990 7.4 454 volvo penta has a crack in it. I have a lead on a rebuilt so the engine transfer should be fairly easy. My question is , When I put the new motor in does it need to be aligned in a special way with the Duoprop out drive, or can it only go back together<br />one way. I was told that the out drive does not have to come off on the volvo system when installing the new motor. Is this correct???<br />Your help is greatly appreciated.

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Engine

What type of drive do you have ? If you have a sx style that is held on with 6 nuts and 2 long trim rams the answer is yes the alignment is checked using a special tool that is inserted through the gimble bearing outside the boat.If you have 290 style also called the Swedish drive , if you don't change the mounting height of the 2 forward mounts you should be fine.<br />Also to remove the engine you have to take the sx style off the Swedish one you can either take the whole drive off or drain the oil and remove just the upper part.

taz33911

Seaman

Yes you need to pull the out drive .You can probably get an alignment bar from a dealer or somebody that does repairs. The bar needs to slide in easy you can probably get a measurement off of the old motormounts to get you close but it needs to be right or you will eat a bearing or seal up.If the shaft on the drive doesn't slide in easy it needs to be adjusted a little more. good luck

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I am under the impression that you either want to save some money by doing the engine swap yourself, or you're really good with wrenchin' or both! Why don't you buy the factory service manuals. The cost of the manuals will more than pay for themselves in the amount of time saved.<br />Clymer and Seloc BOOKS usually have quite a few pages that state "SEE MANUFACTURERS MAINTENANCE MANUAL". They seem to be for tire kickers, not mechanics.