New engine - problems pulling a skier

Selphy

Recruit
I have recently upgraded from a 1991 115HP Evinrude to a 2008 130HP Yamaha. The motor is fitted to a 14.5 foot fibremaster hull.

When attempting to pull a skier with the new engine the bow of the boat lifts up to the point where I have to cut the power because the bow is so far out of the water.

The new engine is lighter and nothing else has changed with the boat. The engine was trimmed in as far as possible when attempting to pull the skier. The new engine appears to be mounted lower on the transom than the old engine.

The only difference is that the old Evinrude was fitted with a SE sport turbo 300 hydrofoil. Should I fit this to the new engine?

It has been suggested that I add ballast to the bow of the boat. Is this an option I should consider or is there some other way that I can reduce the bow lifting?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: New engine - problems pulling a skier

The only difference is that the old Evinrude was fitted with a SE sport turbo 300 hydrofoil. Should I fit this to the new engine?

It has been suggested that I add ballast to the bow of the boat. Is this an option I should consider or is there some other way that I can reduce the bow lifting?

Ayuh,....

I'd raise the New motor up to where the old 1 was,...
And,...
Add a set of Smart Tabs to the hull,....
Stern lifting devices Don't belong on the Motor....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with Bondo 100%. if the Yammy is 4 stroke you added a lot of stern weight.

NCLakeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have recently upgraded from a 1991 115HP Evinrude to a 2008 130HP Yamaha. The motor is fitted to a 14.5 foot fibremaster hull.

When attempting to pull a skier with the new engine the bow of the boat lifts up to the point where I have to cut the power because the bow is so far out of the water.

The new engine is lighter and nothing else has changed with the boat. The engine was trimmed in as far as possible when attempting to pull the skier. The new engine appears to be mounted lower on the transom than the old engine.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yamaha makes a 130HP?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Selphy, That is a heck of a lot of power on a small boat. I recommend you be very careful not to flip over. You might try to start a skiier with a smooth push of the throttle, versus nailing it down.

I agree on the installation of trim tabs, BTW.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

tashasdaddy said:
agree with Bondo 100%. if the Yammy is 4 stroke you added a lot of stern weight.

He says it's lighter.
Wonder how it runs without a skier?

Selphy

Recruit

Thanks for all the responses.

The new outboard is a two stroke and is definately lighter than the old Evinrude. I have raise the engine on the transom to a similar position to the old engine. I will take it out on the water sometime in the next few days to test the difference.

The boat handles a little differently without a skier than it used to. It tends to skip around a lot more on the water when the motor is trimmed up.

I will look at getting some smart tabs sometime this week.

Cheers

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it actually sounds like you are over powered. i don't know many if any. 14.5 ft boats rated for 130HP. what does the capacity plate say the boat is rated for?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

way over powered unless he has a 8 foot beam.