new engine oil pressure

miles917

Seaman Apprentice
Re: new engine oil pressure

Ok, back to oil pressure issue. I've decided it is too high and the company who built the engine agrees but I cannot get a hold of them again to give me a mod/serial number off of the oil pump they put in. Go figure....

Does anyone know how much clearance I will need to remove the oil pan without removing the engine? I have 3-4 inches below the deep part of the pan.

Also, Does anyone know if and where this engine (4.3 chev) has an oil pressure relief valve? I don't have the good manual but the Clymer's says that a plugged relief valve would cause high pressure but does not show where this valve may be located.

Thanks.

Uraijit

Banned

The pressure relief valve is inside the oil pump body. Either way, you're going to have to pull the pump.

3-5 inches should be enough room to drop the pan enough to remove the oil pump. Re-torquing the pump bolt after you put it back in may be tricky though.

miles917

Seaman Apprentice

Finally Solved!

Replaced the new oil pump with a used one I pull from a guys boat. Oil pressure is now just under 40psi at Idle and tops around 65psi when I open her up.

I was able to replace the pump with the engine in the boat.

Just in time for the end of summer!

Thanks for all the help.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Funny... we were just thinking about oil filters, etc...

marine oil filters are made to flow higher rates... and keep oil pressure from building up.

The other reason high volume oil pumps suck in a boat where you run for a long time at high rpm is that even with a large oil pan, if you don't have restrictors installed in the block you'll fill the top of the engine up with oil block off the airflow from the crankcase and build up crankcase pressure... which starts pushing oil out, etc...

Sounds like in your case the engine is just tight, once it's broken in run good quality synthetic in it and you'll see it drop down even furher..