New engine! Dead after 10 hours!

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm: got a 1989 4 winns for free! Of course there's a catch, the engine was junk. So i bought a rebuilt engine online that only had 10 hours on it. I heard it run, but we all know used engines are a gamble. Sure enough after about One hour on the lake poof... 30 psi on two rear starboard cylinders. I suspect the head gasket. Thoughts? Any idea why a gasket would fail so quickly? She ran great for an hour. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe mention what engine?

Anything is possible, it could have over heated, timing could be off or carb running lean and detonation started, or could be the motor had a problem and the prior owner put a band-aid fix, and now its yours

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you don't want to do a quick disassembly, the only way to get an idea what happened is to do a leak down test.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
After only 10 hours, I'd be thinking about trying to get my money back...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would suggest a leak down test

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I bought one of those borescopes from amazon for like $20 Before you start tearing the engine down, maybe get one and see what's doing inside the cylinder with it. It may save you some time.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... My WAGuess is there's water, 'n crap in the boat's fuel system that caused a lean condition, 'n detonation killed it,.....

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Low identical compression on two adjacent cylinders says the head gasket blew between them.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
without a leak down test we are all guessing. a leak down test will tell you where its leaking.

if its the head gasket and it was run for any length of time, it could have fire-slotted the block and/or head

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is how my day started.. trying to figure out why it runs cold. :nono:

Attachments

• photo314237.jpg
    photo314237.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Staff member

now you have to determine why the head gasket went.

use a quality straight edge and feeler gauges to check the block and head

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything is still flat. Nothing over. 004. I'm nervous about this, thinking it's going to happen again.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Post pics of the block and head where the gasket failed

alldodge

Staff member
Measure the block as well and note were the variations are in the block and head to determine if they will increase any gaps

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was also interested in the overcooling situation since I’m having the same condition. I thought rust flakes from the t-housing got lodged in it, but no. I hope the blown head gasket and overcooling aren’t related. Looks like your T-housing froze.

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope it didn't freeze, i was trying to remove that plug to make sure nothing was plugging that passage behind it. Busted it myself. 200 dollars later a new one is on the way. I doubt the two issues are related. But I'll keep you posted. I am wondering if the overly cold engine somehow led to the blown gasket.