New Cobra Outdrive

Capt.Skid

Cadet
In 04 I repowered with a new 4.3 MPI/EFI crate engine, and now wish I had added a new outdrive, but didnt. Is there a supplier out there that stocks complete upper and lower units for a Cobra? I dont want a re-built unit, I want a "New" in the box outdrive. My outdrive is not causing me any problems, but its 15 yrs, old and when it goes I want a new one. I dont want to spend any cash on a "old" drive unit unless I have to. Im close to retireing and all my major boat expense I want to get out of the way while Im still working to ease the financal pain.<br />Capt.Skid

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Cobra Outdrive

well the last of the cobras was about 94/95.<br /> the odds of finding a new one are slim.was a good unit. 10 time better than a merc unit but no longer in production. however there is a conversion kit to allow the use of the volvo SX unit. vastly superior to the merc or the OMC unit, the prop shaft seal debacle notwithstanding. if you wish to buy the transome shield you can update it to the composite drive, but even if you dont you can still do a SX or a SXDP drive.

Capt.Skid

Cadet

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of, didnt know that I can go to an SX or SXDP. Will this bolt up to an OMC shield and wouldnt I have to add a water pump imp. housing on the front of my engine?<br />Looks like I will be left with a re-built option.<br />But like I said my present drive is doing fine but Im looking for it to go south anytime because I have a gaggle of hrs. on it.<br />Capt.Skid

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All this information was in another post yesterday, so I just did a copy and past to your post to make it easier to find. The raw water pump mounts on the crankshaft pulley on the V6 engine. You can also go with a duo-prop drive on the V6.<br />It requires changine the bellhousing on the transom shield, shift cable setup, and adding spacers to the inside of the trim cylinders, but all in all it's a fairly easy changeover.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Barnacle Boy:<br /> Glassman,<br />Volvo does sell a drive conversion kit from OMC cobra to Volvo SX. Here are some of the details/restrictions:<br /><br />You require for Gas Engines 3.0/4.3/5.0/5.0F/5.7/5.8F<br />Volvo Kit Number:<br />Transom Shield Kit,all Engines 3857377-0<br />Waterpump, 3.0 3857386-1 GM<br />Waterpump, 4.3 3857380-4 GM<br />Waterpump, 5.0/5.7 3857384-6 GM<br />Waterpump, 5.0F/5.8F 3857382-0 FORD<br />+ drive:<br />Cobra ratio Volvo ratio<br />1.86 use 2.18<br />1.68 use 1.97<br />1.59 use 1.85,1.60, or 1.51<br />1.41 use 1.43<br /><br />It can not be used with a big block 7.4, 7.5 or 8.2<br /><br />Check that you have an SX drive with the correct ratio and the correct propeller dimension as ordered. The SX drive is available with six gear ratios: 1.51:1, 1.60:1, 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 1.97:1, 2.18:1.<br />NOTE! If the engine is not equipped with Power Steering, a trim plane must be fitted to the SX drive. The trim plane is not included in the assembly kit.<br />Fresh water cooled engines: On fresh water engines, special solutions have to be found for hose runs in most cases, depending on the kind of heat exchanger used.<br />Engine types 4.3, 5.0 and 5.8F: If the distance between the bulkhead and the front of the engine (pulley) is less than 130 mm (5 3/8"), the water pump must be installed in some other way. Use a pump with belt pulley drive.<br />Please refer to the SX drive/engine, model year 1993 and later. The fuel filter and possibly the fuel pump and fuel pipes may also have to be installed in other locations.<br />Other required publications: Workshop manual for SX drive with the relevant engine, Installation manual, Pro-peller<br />recommendations, Spare part catalogue.<br /><br />Contact your local Volvo dealer for more info and prices.<br /><br />VP dealer locator: http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/applications/dealerlocator/ <br /><br />Good luck!

KaGee

Admiral

Capt...<br /><br />You may also want to call HERE for further inquiry. These folks are recommended in alot of places, though I've never used them other than for parts.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FYI:<br /><br />Any BRP (Johnson/Evinrude) dealer can get a new "upper" and a new "lower" direct from BRP.<br /><br />1986-1993<br />Lower: part# 987800 List $2494.01<br />Upper: part # 986380 List $3076.67<br /><br />1994+<br />Lower: part # 3855214 List $3339.00<br />Upper: part # 3855103 List $ 2971.00<br /><br />Or... at least I can... (EDIT) I am nobody special, just willing to try a little harder than most.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

That's good to hear Rabid, how is BRP doing with supplying other Cobra service parts? So far I have not had a problem. I heard the one piece V-6 manifolds and ones for the 460 Fords were hard to get though. I called them a few months back and the guy I spoke to said they intended to keep suppling the parts.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Other Cobra parts availibility is still good.<br /><br />I do know that the manifolds are an issue this year. I can get a port but not a strbd.(I could find one somewhere... sure of it)<br /><br />Even stringer parts are available, and I have been able to get a few electric shift parts also.<br /><br />BRP will keep making some items, as long as there is a market (didn't a potato chip company have a slogan like this(Jay Leno comes to mind here))<br /><br />Lets face it, "most" of this stuff will outlast the boat it's installed on if it's taken care of properly.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info, that is good to know. I will run this one as long as I can get parts, when I can't I may do the Volvo conversion if the rest of the boat is still in good shape.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's a picture of one I did a couple of years ago on a 28 Bayliner with a 460 OMC.<br /><br />
drive_install_complete.jpg