New Carb idling/choke question

wtg2320

Seaman
Hello everyone! I am having an issue with my new Mercarb that was put on this last fall. I have an 88 3.0 MerCruiser and it was starting and running rough last season. I replaced the rotor and cap, plugs and plug wires last year, and this year I had the carb and starter replaced this year. I also have new water separator filer, fuel filter and fuel line this year.

It is starting much better, but I can still tell that it is not idling quite right. I have made adjustments per the manual and tweaked them to get it idling better,but it is either to rich and it backfires from the carb when I am starting it or it idles rough and it eventually dies.. I tried to adjust my choke and it is wide open all of the time. When I loosen the screws and try to adjust the choke it still says wide open, it will not move at all. I am sure this is why I am having the idling issues that I am having. When it runs, it runs great, it is just when idling when I am having the issues. What am I missing about this new choke? Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• 20190613_193043.jpg
    20190613_193043.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190613_193110.jpg
    20190613_193110.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190613_193132.jpg
    20190613_193132.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
slightly advance the thorttle
loosen the 3 screws and rotate the black plastic housing as far as required to get the plate to close to a 1/8 inch drill bit .
Tighten screws

wtg2320

Seaman
OK. I just tried that. The choke plate will not move at all when I turn the plastic housing. That is how I adjusted my old carb, this one is not moving what so ever when I rotate the plastic housing.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if you can move the plate by hand , remove the heating element and find out why the plate wont move

wtg2320

Seaman
Ok. I took off the heat element and discovered that the choke lever and the screw were laying in the choke housing. The marine mechanic didn't put it on. Makes sense now. My only question is the in the manual the lever is canted slightly right. When I installed it this way the choke was turned gar right. I canted the lever slightly left of center and it lines up like it should. Will this make a difference with the position of the lever? Thank you very much for all your help. I couldn't believe I saw the lever just laying there. Luckily I it before it dropped or something.

wtg2320

Seaman
I meant to show the pick of the Manual showing the lever slightly right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-223804_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-223804_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 0

wtg2320

Seaman
Little bit of an update. I put everything back together last night so that I can now adjust the choke. I checked it this evening and it is still wide open. I can force it down and it goes back to the correct position. Why is the choke plate not going down on its own? It also had a hard time starting at first and blew pure white smoke out of the carb when attempting to start the first two cranks or so, it also popped a few times. Any ideas why it would do this? Thanks for the help I'm a newbie and trying to learn.

Bondo

Staff member
I checked it this evening and it is still wide open. I can force it down and it goes back to the correct position. Why is the choke plate not going down on its own?

Ayuh,..... To set the choke, ya advance the throttle to Wot,.....

wtg2320

Seaman
Thanks for all of the help! My problem was that I was not setting the choke in WOT, and that they choke was not put together completely when I got it from the mechanic.