New boater's first major stupid trick

reelfishin

Captain
Re: New boater's first major stupid trick

I watched two guys one time at a garage sale who were looking at a rather beat up looking 50hp Johnson with electric shift trying to test run it with no controls and no stand, one guy was holding the motor balanced on block of wood, with the cowl off but prop on, the other was spraying ether in the carbs and yanking on a rope wrapped around the flywheel, to their amazement, it started, (being an electric shift, with no power to the solenoid, it was stuck in gear), the prop spinning, no shut off switch, and no cover, the guy holding it was trying to keep it from vibrating off the block while avoiding chopping his feet up with the spinning prop and trying to hold onto a motor with a spinning flywheel. I ran over and knocked off both plug wires real quick, it was hooked to a fuel tank, had no cooling water and was stuck at about half throttle.
I was waiting for it to jump off the wood block and jump around when the prop hit the concrete. I just sort of looked at the two of them and shook my head and asked them if they knew what a magneto ignition was and then walked away. They obviously were trying to start it, but I don't think they figured on it being stuck in gear, or not being able to shut it down. Who knows what they were planning to do about the lack of water or the fact that a nearly 200lb running engine might be a bit of a problem to hold onto.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You haven't even hit the water yet to start doing anything stupid.

If you want to see stupid in action watch the "coast gaurd hits a boat" video a couple below this.

There is ALOT to learn on the water, it really is a different world, take your time and keep your head on a swivel, unlike the roads where traffic goes this way or that, water is 360, there are no signs and boats can be going any direction at any speed.

being on the water is one of the most enjoyable things you can do, have fun and I am glad the only casualty was a trash can

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Last year after breaking a shear pin...and not having a spare...being towed in by another boater, who then drove me to the marine store to buy some pins...that was my first lesson.:rolleyes:

Lesson two was when I was installing the pin at his marina, and dropped one of two from the package in the water.:eek:

Lesson three was simple! I keep all the parts of the shear pins in my tool box, and at the end of the season count the parts. Then divide by 3 to see how many I used for the year.:p

Greg

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ive busted a trash can but it was a pretty new one so it wast all dirty............although instead of the house it was my shed :D.........now i use muffs on the bass boat and 5 gal buckests for the 2 small boats.

I watched two guys one time at a garage sale who were looking at a rather beat up looking 50hp Johnson with electric shift trying to test run it with no controls and no stand, one guy was holding the motor balanced on block of wood, with the cowl off but prop on, the other was spraying ether in the carbs and yanking on a rope wrapped around the flywheel, to their amazement, it started, (being an electric shift, with no power to the solenoid, it was stuck in gear), the prop spinning, no shut off switch, and no cover, the guy holding it was trying to keep it from vibrating off the block while avoiding chopping his feet up with the spinning prop and trying to hold onto a motor with a spinning flywheel. I ran over and knocked off both plug wires real quick, it was hooked to a fuel tank, had no cooling water and was stuck at about half throttle.
I was waiting for it to jump off the wood block and jump around when the prop hit the concrete. I just sort of looked at the two of them and shook my head and asked them if they knew what a magneto ignition was and then walked away. They obviously were trying to start it, but I don't think they figured on it being stuck in gear, or not being able to shut it down. Who knows what they were planning to do about the lack of water or the fact that a nearly 200lb running engine might be a bit of a problem to hold onto.

judging byt the way they were spraying ether into the carb they probably also had straight gas in the tank instead of pre-mix............it takes all kinds to make up this wide world.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

how about next time add some soap to the bucket, then you can just hose off the shop, free wash job:D

cbavier

Lieutenant

Should have bought a set of muffs when you bought the engine

You shouldn't even rev it up much even with the muffs on. Unless you want to buy a new motor or replace the impeller. The motor cannot get enough water when it's on the muffs to sustain the reving up. Also never run it on muffs with the motor or outdrive tilted up.