New Boat Protection package - worth it?

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally the day has come when I am getting my new boat, 2005 Glastron GX255. I was planning on putting some protection wax on the hull and some leather protection on the interior. Being the trailer is a bunk model makes it difficult to do a great job on the bottom of the hull. The dealer i bought it from say that for $400 they will wax the entire boat and put a some leather protection on the interior. They will do it when the boat is lifted of the trailer so they will get the entire bottom. In determining if it's good deal I am trying to figure how long it would take me to do it myself. Anyone ever wax the entire hull on a 25' bow rider?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: New Boat Protection package - worth it?

WW - Kinda depends on how much you value your time. $400 is not bad in my book for a 25'er but that rate is usually for a 10 year old boat with a lot of oxidation that requires compounding and waxing. <br /><br />For a new boat the dealer should do a thorough cleaning, if not waxing, as part of the dealer preparation prior to delivery. Even if he does not wax it the job for you is pretty much a wax-on - wax-off job and should take less than a half a day even sneaking in a break or to for some liquid refreshment.<br /><br />Mine is a 23' CC.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I have waxed a 22' except for the bunk area. I use a spray and wipe by Maguires. I can do it 3X a year in less time than one paste apply and buff. Seems to do fine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Walleye, How long does the wax stay on the bottom of the boat? (one trip??) If it is not too long, which I suspect, wax it yourself and save the $400.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow...the old "undercoating" trick from the car dealership has migrated to the boat dealership!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I suspect the wax below water-line will be left in your wake before reaching full plane.

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought it seemed a bit steep below is some info I was able ot find out on the Collinite Wax that the dealer claims they use.......Collinite claims it will stay on for the whole season.<br /><br />The dealer offers a 5 year warranty with the package, saying that if the paint deteriorates or fads etc........for up to five yrs, money back<br /><br />Collinite #845 Insulator Wax - This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. It's primary use is on the finishes of automobiles, trucks, buses, boats, personal water craft, and airplanes where durability, high gloss and lasting protection are paramount. An excellent choice for fleet applications and very easy to use--requires minimum rubbing or buffing. Clear coat safe. Also known as #925 Fiberglass Boat Wax which is described as follows: Goes on easy and stays on all season for a wipe and shine deck, glistening topsides, and a super slippery bottom. Contains a special pure Carnauba wax formula proven in harsh industrial environments. It will easily shrug off scrubbing, scuffing, detergents, salt water and marine organisms.<br /><br /><br />Collinite #885 Paste Fleetwax - The longest lasting wax we carry! For Marine & Aeronautical Finishes. Developed especially to seal and shield against acid rain, sun, salt spray, bugs and other environmental acids. Easily applied and non-abrasive, wax will prevent finish deterioration and the adhesion of foreign elements. Clear coat safe.

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks SoLittle, great link.........one question how can you do a complete job on the bottom of the hull if its on a buk style trailer? Do most guys lift them off the trailer?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Walleye, Don't worry about the bottom, the wax is gonna fall off anyway. And even if it stays on for a while, no one will see the bottom unless the boat is on the trailer, and then the bunks will cover the unwaxed spots!