New Boat Project! Check it out

LeePhan79

Cadet
Hey guys, just picked this boat up! Can anyone tell me anything about this boat? it looks like a glassmaster from what ive seen on the boards. Boat is supposed to be a 1977 Invader with a 115hp Mercury 1150 motor. I paid $700 for this boat and took it into a shop and paid another $1400 to get it up and running. They replaced steering wheel on the helm do to bad cable. Throttle cables had to be replaced and the motor had to be worked on replacing pumps, carbs ect. Hull and transom are surprisingly in good condition and floor is hard. Everything is done as far as getting it repaied as I type this. Now my project is to turn this into a fishing boat. I need some advice on Repainting all the lime green with Black paint. Replacing all seats and installing tall fishing seats. I need to installing fishfinder and trolling motor. Any suggestions will be appreciated. THANKS!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Boat Project! Check it out

set a plywood sheet in the bow, cut accesses for storage under it. mount seat. mount one in the stern. bow mount trolling motor should not be hard, fishfinder where you can see it. suggest trolling motor mounted transducer, or stern mount if you want to use it for a depth finder while cruising.

i386

Captain

Nice find. The trailer and boat looks to be in very good shape. How solid is the deck and transom? You'll likely want to go with a polyurethane topside paint. Interlux and Petit are popular brands. You might think you want black but consider how hot it's going to get in the sun. I would definitely not want any black topside in my boat. I'm also not going with a pure white deck to save my eyes when out in the sun.

LeePhan79

Cadet

wow goood info thanks guys. How do i shape out the plywood to cut? Is my boat a glassmaster?

zibzer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maybe someone else can give their imput but wouldnt that interior get quite hot on a nice sunny day if it was black? maybe blue or white or some type of combo would be better.... although the black would look really cool.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree, the black would "LOOK COOL." It wouldn't be COOL on your arse if you happen to sit on it. the black on the sides wouldn't be as hot. I'd keep black off my boat period. It's hard to find a black anything on the water around here. Hey it's y our boat though. Good luck!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ditto on the black.....

dark blue is bad enough !....

td had some great suggestions.....

may i suggest you take the boat on the water a few times before you start re-designing the boat......

use it....fish in it ...do all the things you would do once the reno is complete...

as your sitting there....just start thinking about what you want...that deck td suggested would be cool.....mabe a live well?....do you want a swim grid that you can cast off? ....how bout a cooler?......
where does your safety stuff go?...can you get at it?...

the ideas are endless.....

have fun...enjoy your boat...and the ideas will come as you use it. :)

cheers
oops

LeePhan79

Cadet

Im painting the boat blue on top and leave bottom alone. What im concerned about is how to mount the Trolling motor.

DavidD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will probably want to get rid of that short top and get a taller one. I hated crawling under mine.

MikDee

Banned

I'm pretty sure that your boat is made by Grady White (a good, well known name), I believe they're the only company that made a sporty model of boats called Invaders.