New boat owner too

Bought my first boat. 1968 MFG Caprice. Boat looks good and floors feel strong. Having a hard time with all I have read figuring out if its 120 hp or 140 hp. I have two single barrel carbs on her. I need a new manifold and was thinking of going with a single 2 barrel carb. Also would like feed back on changing the points over with an electronic conversion kit. Thank You.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boat owner too

Hi 68mfg .... welcome to iboats. We love photos ..... we want to see what you see.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmmm ....

I do not see a Caprice shown in the 1968 lineup of MFG Boats. Are you sure it is not a 1969?

A 19' Caprice (inboard and outboard) runabout is shown in this 1969 ad ... Is this what you have?

http://forums.fiberglassics.com/mfg/mfgb69005.jpg

These came with MerCruiser or OMC inboard power in varying horsepower. What do you have?

We would live to see some photos!!

Thank you for the replies. The 1969 pictures do look like her. I have removed, cleaned and got the carbs. unfrozen.(seafoam, 3-1 oil, steelwool). Replaced rotor cap,rotor,points,plug wires and plugs. New battery. Going to recheck gaps, clean the ground to the engine mount today. I did squirt oil in the plug holes before I turned the motor over.
Here is a link to the boat. I count figure out how to copy the pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...60822417871&ssPageName=ADME:B:CMB:MOTORS:1123

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats! Looks like you've found a treasure!

With luck the engine will crank and run. You could be boating very soon! Check and or replace the thermostat before going on the water.

Remember ... this engine was not built to run on ethanol added fuels. Run the carb(s) dry before shutting down for long periods.

After reading the ad you sent Steve. I am wondering where the green on my boat came from. The boat is either later than 1969 or was repainted. Seats don't match either. The plate on the boat near throttle says model #0132.

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There shouuld be a plaque on the gunwale near, or behind the throttle controls... that will give you a bunch of info. Also, is the engine a 4 or 6 cyl? most I/O's of the 4 cyl variety match up well with GM's 2.5 litre Iron Duke. I think the conversion is like 151cu. in. That might be easer to hunt for parts for converting EFI...the engine didn't change much, but the fuel delivery did.

There shouuld be a plaque on the gunwale near, or behind the throttle controls... that will give you a bunch of info. Also, is the engine a 4 or 6 cyl? most I/O's of the 4 cyl variety match up well with GM's 2.5 litre Iron Duke. I think the conversion is like 151cu. in. That might be easer to hunt for parts for converting EFI...the engine didn't change much, but the fuel delivery did.

Its 4 cyl. I was thinking about that too, converting to EFI. Called a boat engine rebuilder today. He told me to junk my boat. Wasn't worth dumping the money into her. He's killing me here. I do need a motor. Instead of rebuilding, I think I will replace.

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try fiberglassics again to see if they have anything on what engines came with it. Is there aa \serial number on the engine? That might ID it. Also, the rebuild forums on here are full of posts about I/O work. Might find one that matches up. Check the Out-drive make. They are often paired with the motors, and folks list them first cuz they can see them. you can also find out what other motors may mate up with that out-drive. Might make the conversion/replacement less of a hassel!
Don't listen to that knucklhead mechanic! If I had a $1 for every time a mechanic told me that, I'd own the Queen Freakin Mary!

try fiberglassics again to see if they have anything on what engines came with it. Is there aa \serial number on the engine? That might ID it. Also, the rebuild forums on here are full of posts about I/O work. Might find one that matches up. Check the Out-drive make. They are often paired with the motors, and folks list them first cuz they can see them. you can also find out what other motors may mate up with that out-drive. Might make the conversion/replacement less of a hassel!
Don't listen to that knucklhead mechanic! If I had a $1 for every time a mechanic told me that, I'd own the Queen Freakin Mary!

Good and bad day. (the good) Found model and serial numbers today. (the bad)Transom is rotted.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good and bad day. (the good) Found model and serial numbers today. (the bad)Transom is rotted.

Don't be discouraged.... That is very common with these boats......But I know how you feel, Same as me when I found mine was NG.

Lots of us have had to do transoms. It's not as terrifying as it sounds. When your ready, ask as many ??? as you want We're here to help!

Ok Ed,, thanks. I was reading your post on your rebuild. Great job. Couldn't think straight for two day's wondering what to do. I am going to try it. I see your from Peabody. I grew up in Chelmsford Ma.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok Ed,, thanks. I was reading your post on your rebuild. Great job. Couldn't think straight for two day's wondering what to do. I am going to try it. I see your from Peabody. I grew up in Chelmsford Ma.

Chelmsford..... cool, Small world isn't it? Poke around the forums a bit. Lots and lots of transom rebuilds. Once you get a plan, It will become a whole lot easier.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

What the mechanic was thinking was, "he'll never get his money back and this boat isn't worth (the money)"

And from that perspective he is correct! However, most of us MFGers don't own our boats and fix them because it is going to make a profit. We do it because we want a cool, old, strong, nice handling boat, and we buy them cuz they don't cost much.

Basically you will probably fix your boat for far less money than buying a fairly new runabout, but you should fix the old one cuz you want to. If you plan on keeping a cool old boat around it is definitely worth fixing it. I love it when someone all excited buys some old Bayliner for $3500 and then spends $3000 "fixing" it only to have it crap out the next year. When you fix yours, not only do you have basically no up-front investment, but it will likely go for YEARS at low to no cost other than routine and obligatory maintenance.

My two cents as usual :)

Thank you for your two cents.
Your right, fixing would still be less expensive than a newer one. She does look cool too.

I have removed the drive. I am hoping to have the motor out this weekend. Looks like buying a running motor is going to be less expensive than a rebuild. (intake, carb. on and on) Going to replace drive too. Want something newer than 70's. I need to replace the transom. Going to fill in whole in the stern for the new drive.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

most I/O's of the 4 cyl variety match up well with GM's 2.5 litre Iron Duke. I think the conversion is like 151cu. in. That might be easer to hunt for parts for converting EFI...the engine didn't change much, but the fuel delivery did.

The "Iron Duke" (Pontiac 2.5L cross-flow), and the 2.5L/3.0L (Chevy) are two different animals. The Iron Duke was not installed in boats, and has no marine parts to make it work. O.P. would be best served replacing his drive train with a 3.0 Mercruiser, or later model 3.0L Volvo.