New boat has arived! & my day after thoughts...

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here it is, a 18' Tinny:

DSC01291.jpg

So somebody took the top off of another boat, and bolted it onto this hull, changing it from an open bow, to a closed.

DSC01282.jpg

So it fits ok... but not the greatest. the side overhang a little too much, making it a little flexable while leaning/standing/holding onto the sides.

DSC01286.jpg

Your sitting almost to the front of the boat, and not much leg room.

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

The bimini top is 8' tall, and in my opinion way to damn big.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New boat has arived! & my day after thoughts...

And whats going on under here:?!

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

So, what should I do?

I really really want a center console, and from the looks of it this boat once was.

Should I take that bull-**** top/cap off and convert it back over?
The deck is solid as a rock, which is exactly what I wanted, and not much fiberglass/wood to rot, another reason I wanted a tinny.

Should I dump a few hundred into this thing making it a center console again?

or should I just bolt my engine/controls onto it and take it for a test run and see how it does?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the bottom looks awfully rough. i think i would lauch it, or put water into it, and see if it leaks.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I say run it like it is for a little while, you may like it. If not, you haven't lost anything and can still rip it apart and do whatever you want.

salty87

Commander

i'd slap the engine & controls on and see what you've got first

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are some serious issues with this boat. There is a gob of something hanging down off the bottom that looks like an attempt to patch a hole. The strakes are corroded and look like attempts were made to spot weld them. the bottom of the boat is bowed upward meaning the strakes are no longer doing their job. The picture showing the trailer axle shows a repair but I can't tell what was broken. That said, look at the axle just behind the wheel. There is a vertical piece that looks like it runs between the axle and the frame. If that's true, the springs might as well be thrown away because they are doing nothing and you essentially have no suspension. That factor alone is probably responsible for the damage to the boat and the broken whatever it is with the patch on it as it is in direct alignment with the axle. I hope you didn't pay much for this rig as someone spent way too much time turning it into an unsafe piece of equipment. Fill it with water and see where it leaks.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I started laughing when I saw that bar. Went and looked and its just some random bar sticking up, but it clears the frame and dosnt hit anything, So It should be working.

I looked at the globs, It looks like someone globed over the rivets in the thing, not to big of a deal. It has some other problems under there.

the corroded strake looks bad in the picture, but in person dosnt look bad, only dirty.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

big b.......the hull is hooked.

that is the worst thing that can happen to a tinny....or any boat for that fact.

it will not handle well, i dont know what kind of motor you have to put on it......but it looks like it was set up to be a plaining hull with the windsheild and everything.
i think youll find that the boat once you get your motor on to it will react badly, to the possible point of danger.

we had a hooked glass hull thread a while back and the poster said it was down right scary.......we could not see his hook from his pics....he needed a string line........i can see your hook

its my opinon that the cap is what caused the hook in the first place.....tinny gunnel tops have a natural smile in them........glass boats from that era were a flat top.....so in order to mate the two he kinda squeezed the center down........some of the glass gave....and so did some of the tin

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No reason to fill it with water to see if it leaks, Im sure it already does:

l_bdf29996fc914823bcc0b638aea75199.jpg

there is a couple of hair line cracks where some chros supports are

l_40b7f7cb581f4d559148cd1077eb8736.jpg

Sooooooooooo Should I pull the deck up first to see about repairs?

And how would I fix something like that? fibreglass? A small sheet of aluminum, rivets, and some roofing tar?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I see a couple of issues here:

1) There is one heck of a hook (big dent) in the hull of that boat, judging from the photo from below. Looks like it hit something, the keel cracked, was welded, but not straigtened first. I would not be the slightest bit surprised if it does not ride well, porposes, chine walks or has problems getting on/staying on plane. That hook my force the bow down, reducing top speed and using more fuel.

2) The cap that was bolted on from another boat is adding quite a bit of weight, along with all that wood framing on the inside (which I am sure is not OEM). So reduce the capacity accordingly.... say by 200lbs or so. Although it does seem to fit well, all things considered.

I wish you had shown us these photos before buying. Even on a tinny, a bent/hooked hull is going to be a problem.

Let us know how it rides after you get it powered up.

EDIT: Sorry, Didn't realize Oops already covered these topics. Just think of this as a second opinion. :)

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

big b.......the hull is hooked.

Ok so, the hull needs serious attention.

Is this something that can be fixed with some hamering and riveting?

Should I pull and toss the cap? pull the deck and all wood to get a better idea?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dude wanted a lot, I talked him down quite a bit.

....I would probably get the $ back by taking it down to the recycler.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

also ....looking again at the pics.......the weight of the craft....the rollers have also caused havoc......the alum was never desigined to point load like that.......youd need a thicker hull to take that kind of weight on a point load.

if you want to keep the boat.......there is a lot of work to do.......some that im not even sure how to do....other than the obvious....(bend the sucker back)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

....I would probably get the $ back by taking it down to the recycler.

Do it. Do it now. Take the windshield off and sell it on ebay. Probably get $150 easy. Sell the bimini top or save it. Worth $100 easy. Strip out all seats, gauges, steering & cable, fuel tank, fuel filters, and stainless steel hardware like cleates. Save it for your next boat or sell it. Take the hull to the recycler. Keep the trailer and go look for a new boat.

Seriously.

For real.

Do it now.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the cap has to go......the wood has to go to fix the hook....you are looking at a total rebuild......u want a project....or u want a boat?

u want a project....we can help you......but its decision time....

i gotta go to work....but ill check in on this one later

cheers dude
oops

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

man Brutal...

No harm in ripping it apart first huh?

I put a 8' level along the "strakes" And they are all straight. The only one that isnt, is the one pictured in pic #6. (the center one, with what looks to be a patch in it) It looks like someone hit something and dented the thing in.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the cap has to go......the wood has to go to fix the hook....you are looking at a total rebuild......u want a project....or u want a boat?

Cap'll be off by tomorrow.

I dont mind a project, with any luck it'll be cheaper than buying a newer boat...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The transom and the hull shot sure look to be that of a Western made by the Shasta Boat Company. In its day it was a great boat but that was before the hap-hazard modifications took place.

I'll tell you what, send your pictures to Phil and Maggie at Jetstream and see what they say. Their website is http://www.jetstreamgroup.net/

Take what they say seriously, they see a lot more boats than you and I ever will.

Steve

fishrdan

Admiral

I think the guys are on track here. Looks like the hooked hull has some shotty repairs to it and the only way to get it back into shape is to remove (throw away) the cap, gut it and then straighten/repair the hull.

I'd string line each strake and see how they look from bow to stern and figure out what it's going to take to repair. The welded patch on the middle strake will most likely have to come off to straighten properly and then repair again.

The main problem I see with the boat is the cap has caused the hull to deform and there might be far more damage than seen already,,, metal fatigue.

Looks like the PO stripped off all the good stuff (outboards, electronics) and left you with a bunch of repairs he didn't want to complete,,, or problems he caused my adding on the cap.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The only one that isnt, is the one pictured in pic #6. (the center one, with what looks to be a patch in it) It looks like someone hit something and dented the thing in.

That's from a front trailer roller. My brothers did the same thing. He had the roller too high, cranked the winch down and headed off on a 6 hour trip on back roads with the boat loaded with camping gear. By the time he got to where he was going the keel was cracked right where yours is. That entire keel can be taken off and replaced. The hull should be a single piece of aluminum and the keel is just riveted on.