New Boat Feels Slow- Prop?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Boat Feels Slow- Prop?

If you don't have any ventilation problems raise the motor a little at a time to a point just before venting becomes a problem.I think in this case the new prop is in order first.Try it with and without the fin.Then think about a jack plate.Don't make 2 changes at once.A jack plate will set the motor back in cleaner water and of course
let you fine tune the height.

Skiffhunter

Cadet

New prop on way. I ordered a 15 inch pitch. Once it arrives, I'll post my speed, probably next weekend.

I am definitely considering the jackplate too. Looking at my transom and steering cable, do you guys think I will be able to get the red steering cable over the transom and back a few inches for the jack plate? There is a little slack when I reach in the deck hatch and grab it...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

New prop on way. I ordered a 15 inch pitch. Once it arrives, I'll post my speed, probably next weekend.

I am definitely considering the jackplate too. Looking at my transom and steering cable, do you guys think I will be able to get the red steering cable over the transom and back a few inches for the jack plate? There is a little slack when I reach in the deck hatch and grab it...

On the cable you may have to reroute it to get some slack that you may need, or maybe a new one is in order anyway. On ordering, if you decide to do that, there are white numbers on the black jacket near one end or your existing cable (should be). The last numbers of the series, like last 3 are the length in inches. Just add what you need to that number in inches, when you order.

Teleflex folks are great to deal with, over and above after what they did for me, and I highly recommend them...on line www.teleflex.com or something like it.

I had a problem when I bought the current boat and it was caused by the engine being too high on the transom for the hole size/position where the cable came up from under the deck. The cable was kinked as a result of that.

Upon installing the new cable, I didn't go beneath the deck and repeat the errors of someone's past, I just placed it on the deck and clamped it in place. Worked great and I don't pay any attention to it being there....boat isn't a showcase anyway...it's a fishing boat.

Here's the punch line: NO SHARP BENDS, nice, smooth, radius in your bends. Sharp bends kink the center wire and kinks don't steer worth a ...................

Mark