New boat coming up on it's first 20 hour service. Question please.

BKSinAZ

Cadet
I have a new Reinell 204FNS fish and ski with a Volvo-Penta V8 engine (looks like a big chevy engine). The dealer stated that I need to bring it in for it's first servicing at around 20 hours of usage.<br /><br />The problem is that the dealer wants to charge me $375.00 and states that just the oils (engine and lower end) needs to be changed. And they "Claim" that they will check THIS and THAT..wink wink. :eek: I am screwed as this place is the only one in Tucson that works on Volvo-Penta<br /><br />Is that all that needs to be done with a first service? $375 to do that?? What should be done if that is not all? Please give me a list as I will request that it all gets done correctly. If simple enough, I might even do it myself as I easily work on most cars.

max49

Recruit
Re: New boat coming up on it's first 20 hour service. Question please.

Oops, I did'nt take my 05 205 in for that. They did'nt tell me to either. I've got about 40 hrs. on mine and don't plan to change the oil til at least 100 hrs.

BKSinAZ

Cadet

I think you should reconsider. Try to change your oil and lube shortly. I did contact the dealer and they said that if you change or have someone change the oil and lube that it will NOT void the warrenty. So do it. They said that it will not void the warrenty as long as you use the volvo-penta oil. Save receipts.

max49

Recruit

Maybe I should but I don't think I changed the oil on my last new 4.3 ltr Mercruiser til it had about a 100 hrs. And the Volvo came with pure synthetic oil. I wonder why Volvo uses and wants us to use synthetic oil. I've never used it before. <br /> Mine has used a half a qt of oil in that 40 hrs. I never had to add oil (dino) on the 4.3 Merc in the 250hrs. that I put on it.

vacayooper

Cadet

The engine is a chevy engine and the change of oil is not the only thing a reputable dealer will do when performing the 20 hour service. There are clamps, u-joints, steering cables, shift cables, wires, etc plus it is an opportunity to relate any problem areas or questions you may have. The twenty hour oil change on a boat is probably equal to 3500 miles on a car engine but more difficult to accomplish without making a mess. Have the dealer write down or show you what they are doing and cover each and every item when you pick up the boat. Most people want to get in and out in minimum time, don't be like that make the dealer work for the money.