New baby coming home tonight...

gaugeguy

Captain
Picking her up in less than an hour. I am pumped and cannot wait to get her into my hands...<br /><br />
package.jpg
<br /><br />Thompson Center Encore .308, 15" barrel with 2x7.5 scope.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New baby coming home tonight...

Well, GG, I had a Remington Xp-100 years ago that I had rechambered to .308 and it was a dream. I secessfully hunted game past 200 yards with out a scope. Today I would use a scope tho. In order to get the max out of that short barrelled gun you really need to reload, as you cannot possible burn all the powder in a factory cartridge in a 15"bbl in that caliber. If you do reload and would like some of my old loading data let me know. Play safe, use ear muffs when practicing, and have fun. chief

Carphunter

Commander

And all this time I thought you were "fixed". ;) <br /><br />.....she is a beauty.

STEVEHONAS

Cadet

my brother just picked up his .500 caliper about broke my arm when i shot it, what a gun this monster is, smith and wesson

rottenray6402

Ensign

Very nice indeed! I have the Savaage Super Striker in 7MM/08. Excellent deer guns.

LadyFish

Admiral

I don't know much about guns, but that one sure is pretty. Looks like a fun one to own. :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Chief, Just curious - when you loaded for a short barrel do you use pistol powder or just quick burning rifle powder.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

BB, I don't use a pistol powder exactly, but what I do use is a powder used by benchrest shooters. As you likely guessed the factory loads are a beastie to shoot. They kick like a mule and shoot a flamelike a dragon. When you got to use that much powder it's just what happens. You can only tame the beast a little, but I found that it can be a tackdriver, and be pleasant to shoot, and GG will be the coolest dude on the block. :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

sweet GG...........

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

since gg is showing off his new baby, I gots to show my old girl...behaving like a couple old wash women hey :D <br />Here is Mr. Hand and his 629<br />
629c.jpg

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Not trying to take any thunder away GG cause your new gun is mighty spiffy, but since this is a gittin' to be a "show and tell", here's what an XP-100 looks like after I carved a new wood stock and made it into a boomer. :) <br />
6.jpg

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

GG,<br /><br />Looks great but what do you use it for? If its for game why the preference over a rifle? Sorry for the dumb questions the only gun Im allowed to own is a 12G Shot gun.<br /><br />Regards<br />Chris

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey GG give us the update! I am sure you have shot it despite the snow.<br /><br />Bob

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Bob, Ifn he were to be shootin' it in my neck of the woods, there'd be avalanches for sure... <br />Chris Myers <br />"the only gun Im allowed to own", you said the operative word in you post..."allowed". :) <br />Chief

gaugeguy

Captain

Well I ran a few boxes of military 7.62x51 through her Saturday (in the snow, Bob), and she is a beauty. Stout recoil, but nothing unmanageable. Threw a flame out the barrel about 4', just an absolute joy to shoot. I am driving tacks at 50 yards right now (quarter sized groups), will move out to 100 next weekend to do the final zeroing.<br /><br />Chris, I am going to use it instead of my rifle for deer and bear. This will allow me to carry my bow year round and if a hapless critter is keeping his distance out of bow range, this will allow me to reach out and touch him.<br /><br />The barrels interchange on this, so I will also be purchasing a 15" .50 cal muzzleloader barrel and the .410/.45 barrel for it. A gun for all seasons :cool:

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I have a shoulder holster for carrying a Contender, an excellent way to have both hands free for something else, like a bow. :)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> I have a shoulder holster for carrying a Contender, an excellent way to have both hands free for something else, like a bow. :)
I picked up an "uncle Mike's" shoulder holster for it already, and it fits pretty good Chief. My only concern with it right now is that at full draw with the bow, my string may hit the pistol grip when I release it. Minor adjustments I'm sure.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Sure do wish I was allowed to have a gun like that, but here in NY, the State has decided that its Citizens don't need guns and will not issue an illegal gun permit.<br /><br />NY State claims that I don't need a handgun, so I can't have one!<br /><br />Funny, thats not what the Constitution says...

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> Sure do wish I was allowed to have a gun like that, but here in NY, the State has decided that its Citizens don't need guns and will not issue an illegal gun permit.<br /><br />NY State claims that I don't need a handgun, so I can't have one!<br /><br />Funny, thats not what the Constitution says...
That's another great thing about this gun KKC, You can buy a buttstock and a 24" barrel and in two minutes you have a rifle...even legal in the Peoples Republic on NY.