New Axle for Trailer ??

Hotpocketr0x

Recruit
Hello all, I have a quick and hopefully easy question for some of you more experienced folks out there. I am currently running a smaller boat trailer that is being converted into a utility trailer. The axle I have on is a wee to small at the moment and I would like to upgrade to something a bit more heavy duty and a little wider. My trailer frame is 7' long x 5' wide, the axle I currently have is about a foot or so shorter than the width of my trailer. I'm looking at a few 3500# axles as I think that should be more than enough for what I'm using. My only problem is I have no idea how long of an axle or how big or anything like that for what I may need. How do I determine how long of an axle I should get and is there any difference in the thickNess? The one I have is significantly thinner than my uncles trailer axle. Any advice or links to other sources of info would be greatly appreciated. I will try to upload photos if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You would need quite a bit more than just an 3500# axle, they're wider and are pinned out further for the leaf springs. Yeah the 3500# axle is going to be thicker too. I could see you needing new springs as well.and then where would they attach to the frame, small trailers have small springs too that can't take much of a load. Yeah pics might help out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm wondering if the frame is up for toting 3500 gross pounds. What are you planning on using the trailer for? I'm for seeing some pics, too.

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For the amount of work you will have to do and money spent you would be better off just buying a utility trailer to meet your needs. You could probably get a nice used one for what your going to spend on springs, axle, wheels and tires and who knows what your going to have to do to the frame.