New and need help with trim piece

JvtecDrsxM

Cadet
Hey, I'm brand new and unfortunately just finding this site, I'm coming to the beginning of the end of a 3 year restoration on what was a badly damaged Glastron Futura 237SL. Paint will come next spring and upholstry over the winter but I am about to start water testing in a few weeks and one of the last things I am facing is re-attaching this trim piece, What should I use to stick this back on as it clearly wasn't meant to come off???
IMG00005.jpg

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New and need help with trim piece

I wish i could help you with this but for a rubber mold bonded to an aluminum boat and place the underwater aspect into the equation and you are definitely looking for someone that has slightly more expertise in this area than myself.

Simply posting so that i might follow your inquire and help you as i become more educated in this area myself or so the two of us might learn together.

I am wondering what purpose it serves in it's design anyway and if it could be removed perhaps if you so chose to do so.

Just wondering?

i know that doesn't answer your question i understand, i am simply brainstorming with you.

JvtecDrsxM

Cadet

Well first off it is actually a fiberglass hull, I do know that it does help in stability as each side has one with a downward curve so I am assuming that it is some form of permanant stabilizer...... right there with you though I certainly am not an expert at this stuff. I just have spent lots of years working on cars and with various materials so I took this on as a project a few years ago and have done much better than even I thought I would....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is there any indication on the piece that is still attached as to how it IS attached. Is it some kind of adhesive? Is the Piece in question made of Vinyl? Aluminum? Could you provide a close up of the piece where it IS attached as well as the back side that attaches to the boat and the part of the boat where it attaches. There are some very powerful marine adhesives that will do the job, just need to know what type of material and configurations we are dealing with.

Truefire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well first off it is actually a fiberglass hull, I do know that it does help in stability as each side has one with a downward curve so I am assuming that it is some form of permanant stabilizer...... right there with you though I certainly am not an expert at this stuff. I just have spent lots of years working on cars and with various materials so I took this on as a project a few years ago and have done much better than even I thought I would....

Oh ok, gotcha my man... I am wondering if this is simply attached to produce a bite in the water for watersports, is this a combination fish/ski type boat. I couldn't tell from the partial photo.

If so, perhaps it is simply for bite enabling the boat to 'stick' to the water in tighter turns perhaps. Hmm, seems that would produce a nasty stress load on this strip however.

That was why i was wondering earlier if it was for cosmetics and such serving like a bumper strip to ward off bumps on docks and loading on trailers and such. -- The reasoning behind my statement from earlier as whether or not it could be removed altogether if one chose to do so.--

But it appears as if my man woodenglass may be aware of some adhesives to aid in the repairing of same, so we will see i guess.

Take care, chris

JvtecDrsxM

Cadet

True- Ya that definately could be it, it is def more of a ski boat, closed bow with 2 captains chairs, a bench and a TINY cuddy cabbin.

Wood- it definately is made of what I would say is probably a vynil or rubber of some sort, it does appear that it was origionally held by some sort of super strong double sided tape, I will try to get some better pics later today if I can but just to give you an idea, if you were to say the edge it attaches to is the bottom corner of the topside of your kitchen table it kind of hugs in and sticks on the side and the bottom of that corner.

As I said I'll try to get some pics later on but hopefully you get what I'm saying. Thanks for the help guys!!!!