New 205ss crownline-is 200 HP enough?

JDK_pork

Recruit
Hi everyone. New to this forum. Looking for some help. I’m debating on taking the purchasing a 2021 205ss crownline. I am concerned the 200 HP will be in a little on the light side. I have 3 kids who are very active. Ski, tube, wakeboard etc. Boat weights 3800lbs. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion
Most boat manufactures list the standard equipment motor which will move the boat. It will get the job done but barely if loaded. The largest motor offered is the one which will do the job much better

Example: My 95 Rinker (4200 lbs) came with a 7.4 and it has no problems doing anything asked. Folks who bought the same boat with a 5.7 complain how long it takes to plane and pull toys when loaded

Another thing which is in the mix is the EPA regs. Boats have to burn fuel cleaner these days.

southkogs

Staff member
My boat is about a foot shorter and almost 1,800# lighter (which is amazing to me). Supposedly my 3.0 is putting out 135HP. - Its a good mix for skiing and pulling a tube. My kids are all lighter, but adults and they ski and tube fine. I'm older and bigger (230#) and I can ski and tube behind it pretty well, albeit with a little more fight getting up.

Trying to shove the stern down and cut a wake for boarding would never work on my boat. I'm thinking that's the struggle you'd have on that boat too.

If you're just monkeying around and skiing and such for fun, it could work out fine. If you're remotely serious about the water-sports, you may be disappointed.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind that any new inboard/outboard will have cat converter exhaust and these can become troublesome and expensive to repair over time; due to the issues of running an exhaust system really designed for dry exhaust in a wet exhaust application. IMHO cats that run @ 700* and have to be water cooled in a wet exhaust application are risky in a fiberglass boat. I would suggest a 4 stroke outboard instead; safer, less maintenance & headaches.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would opt for the larger motor

JDK_pork

Recruit
Thanks for the reply’s. I am taking the boat out next weekend with the 200 to see how it performs. Will keep you posted.

JDK_pork

Recruit
Lou C the motor that is spec’d on the proposed bill of sale says “Mercruiser NAP 4.5l MPI ALPHA Non-cat (US limited supply) 200HP”

So I am assuming it will not have a cat converter by that description. Good point though.

The plan is to keep this boat for 7 years or 200 hours before kids are gone. What maintenance (other than routine) will need to be done? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I like the idea, but how they getting around the EPA , maybe just forget the comment, it might get political

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ah well then I guess they might be able to build a limited # of non cat engines, that is better for you, because of the issues you can sometimes have with the cat exhaust in a marine environment (check engine lights, alarms, very expensive parts cost). The rest is just typical I/O maintenance with fluid changes winterizing and drive pull and maintenance that has to be done yearly to avoid problems. Outboards while initially more expensive cost less for yearly maintenance and are safer in several important ways. I’ve been doing I/O maintenance close to 20 years and would not have another.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Most boat manufactures list the standard equipment motor which will move the boat. It will get the job done but barely if loaded. The largest motor offered is the one which will do the job much better
best advice offered, get the boat with or close to the highest hp offered for that model year. I have yet to own a boat with too much power.

200 hp with a lower pitch prop and 4 blade for water sports would work ok if you don’t mind swapping props and you really like the boat otherwise.
i used two different 4 blade Michigan vortex Aluminum props on my 3.0 , 16” to ski , 18” to tube and cruise both were head and shoulders better than the black max 3 blades (17” & 19”) on a underpowered 135. Hp ...

tpenfield

Staff member
The Crownline website says it comes with the Merccruiser 4.5L MPI engine @ 200HP in the base model . . . the 250 HP version of the 4.5L is an upgrade ($10K :unsure:) . . . available in either Alpha or Bravo 3 outdrives.

Sounds like you will want the 250HP . . . Is the uplift in price a concern?
Are there more goodies packed into the engine upgrade?

Any updates on the choice?

skyman2112

Seaman
You will be very disappointed with that size boat and only 200hp. Its a total dog for water sports with any kind of load inside the boat. Get an older boat with a bigger engine if price is a concern.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It will be fine I’m sure. You can always just go down a little with the pitch on the prop with a hi five or something. Especially if you aren’t bothered about top end.
that said, If I was spending that kind of money on a brand new boat...you will likely have the luxury of being able to opt for the larger engine power. Or you could hope that someone offers a remap for the engine to boost the power to the same power as other outputs from the identical engine to that.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
It will be fine I’m sure. You can always just go down a little with the pitch on the prop with a hi five or something. Especially if you aren’t bothered about top end.
that said, If I was spending that kind of money on a brand new boat...you will likely have the luxury of being able to opt for the larger engine power. Or you could hope that someone offers a remap for the engine to boost the power to the same power as other outputs from the identical engine to that.
True it will be alright, but I have yet to own a boat with too much power. QB is right you can prop down for water sports, this is why I run a 4 blade, as generally it is too rough to bot WOT much anyways.

does anyone know what the largest engine available in this boat is? Is The biggest 250 hp?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'd get the largest engine offered.
I had a 21' Larson bowrider with a 210 HP V8. It did okay, not impressive, just okay. We had a lot of fun with that boat for 10 years. They typical load was 45 gallons of fuel, 4 adults, 6 kids, pulling a tube or two. My current boat is 2 feet longer and has 300 HP, a nice improvement.
By the way, a smaller engine won't save you fuel. If anything, a larger engine, not working as hard, will be more fuel efficient. My old boat was a 2 barrel carb and an Alpha drive, the new one is MPI and a B3. From what I can tell the new boat uses slightly less fuel than the old one.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'd get the largest engine offered.
I had a 21' Larson bowrider with a 210 HP V8. It did okay, not impressive, just okay. We had a lot of fun with that boat for 10 years. They typical load was 45 gallons of fuel, 4 adults, 6 kids, pulling a tube or two. My current boat is 2 feet longer and has 300 HP, a nice improvement.
By the way, a smaller engine won't save you fuel. If anything, a larger engine, not working as hard, will be more fuel efficient. My old boat was a 2 barrel carb and an Alpha drive, the new one is MPI and a B3. From what I can tell the new boat uses slightly less fuel than the old one.
Agree totally. Also add that I’ve yet to see a factory set up boat with a bravo 3 or VP DP that wasn’t almost perfectly propped. They do so well.
love my mpi. Only an alpha on its limit of power perhaps...but have her mostly propped to sit at around 25ish mph at 2200 rpm and using about 17/18 litres per hour at that. Top end depending on what prop can see 65-67 mph at about 5150 rpm. All be it, using about 80+ litres per hour.
I have a very efficient 115 merc outboard on a 19ft cuddy. That is incredible on fuel, but at around 27-30 mph...even that is nearly on a par with the V8 mpi at the same speed. Flat out the outboard boat is using about 42 litres per hour at 44/45 mph. The chase with the mpi will use similar Im sure at that speed...but not breaking sweat really. Most other rpm and speed it much better obviously. But impressive none the less for the mpi.