New (2020) Alpha One Gen 2 wont come off

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boat is in forward gear, trim rams removed, speedo tube remove, 6 bolts removed. Dang thing won't budge. Any ideas why a newer drive would be stuck? What are my options, just the 2x4 trick?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Boat is in forward gear, trim rams removed, speedo tube remove, 6 bolts removed. Dang thing won't budge. Any ideas why a newer drive would be stuck? What are my options, just the 2x4 trick?
Yes 2x4 pushing off rams. If gimbal bearing is rusted to the driveshaft can be hard to remove- this can happen if bellows leak water . Can also get seized to coupler but would not expect that given time involved.

I think there are a coupler small slots where you can put a big flat head or prybar in between the bellhousing and drive.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If gimbal bearing is rusted to the driveshaft can be hard to remove- this can happen if bellows leak water
This is my concern at this point. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
This is my concern at this point. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!
You basically end up pulling the rusty gimbal bearing out with the drive. Would try the 2x4 and and bet it pushes off with the drive

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well, 2x4 worked like a charm. Don't see any signs of rust (I think) and the gimbal is silky smooth. There was a tiny puddle of gear lube (I think) in the bellows (pictured) but maybe that came from disassembly as the tank connector was dripping? There was also a little red/brown ring on the drive shaft end of the U-joints...Doesn't look like rust but some kind of assembly lube/grease maybe? Thoughts?

Attachments

• puddle.JPG
    puddle.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 37
  • shaftJPG.JPG
    shaftJPG.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 37

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
well, 2x4 worked like a charm. Don't see any signs of rust (I think) and the gimbal is silky smooth. There was a tiny puddle of gear lube (I think) in the bellows (pictured) but maybe that came from disassembly as the tank connector was dripping? There was also a little red/brown ring on the drive shaft end of the U-joints...Doesn't look like rust but some kind of assembly lube/grease maybe? Thoughts?
You talking about the "O" ring?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
As mentioned would check alignment as possible cause of hard to remove.

Sometimes can be tough to differentiate between liquid from gimbal bearing grease and drive lube in bellows. Would pressure test the drive when off. Brown ring looks like grease and water mix.

Remember to glue the big quad ring in the bellhousing before trying to reinstall the drive

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
There is a seal behind gimbal bearing that people seldom replace. If drive is off, I'd pull bearing and replace seal. You probably need to realign shaft, anyway.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks all. I will definitely be checking alignment in the spring before I re-install the outdrive. I realized the brown grease/dirt ring is actually around the coupler o-ring not the gimbal o-rings so I doubt the bellows are leaky, that and they are also only 3 years old. I will also check the parts diagrams for seals behind the gimbal.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks all. I will definitely be checking alignment in the spring before I re-install the outdrive. I realized the brown grease/dirt ring is actually around the coupler o-ring not the gimbal o-rings so I doubt the bellows are leaky, that and they are also only 3 years old. I will also check the parts diagrams for seals behind the gimbal.
The seal behind the gimbal bearing only keeps gimbal bearing grease out of bilge so it is not critical, would not take out a working gimbal bearing to replace it. It may not even be used anymore with the newer peralube (non greasable) gimbal bearings

Ok dirt and grease ring from coupler makes sense on the newer ones there is a grease nipple on couplers that you can grease if you bump the engine so it faces up. I think merc was trying to get to or justify a 300hr service interval on drive removal coupler and u joint greasing vs annual.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The seal behind the gimbal bearing only keeps gimbal bearing grease out of bilge so it is not critical, would not take out a working gimbal bearing to replace it. It may not even be used anymore with the newer peralube (non greasable) gimbal bearings

Ok dirt and grease ring from coupler makes sense on the newer ones there is a grease nipple on couplers that you can grease if you bump the engine so it faces up. I think merc was trying to get to or justify a 300hr service interval on drive removal coupler and u joint greasing vs annual.
Great information thank you. With my old boat, VP 5.0 GL-H I knew all the ins and outs. First winterization with a new boat, MPI and a Merc so it's been a ride :)

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Great information thank you. With my old boat, VP 5.0 GL-H I knew all the ins and outs. First winterization with a new boat, MPI and a Merc so it's been a ride :)
Not much different. While its good to remove your drive and inspect I certainly don't every year. If you still have an original greasable gimbal and its smooth leave it alone and grease it. Grease coupler inside. I do engine oil, fuel filter and gear lube annually, grease points and my boats seem to last 25+ years.

Be careful if you have the single point drain system- they can get clogged with sediment and not drain fully.

When you get to replacing the impeller in the drive make sure to get an OEM merc one. The kits is like $60 and they last a long time well worth the cost over aftermarket. While fresh water is easier on things I changed mine after 6 years & 300 hrs and it was in perfect shape.

Another MPI item you hear of is the crab style distributor cap. I think this is a gm design issue not VP or Merc. Tend to hear a lot of runability issues traced back to the cap.

If your drive and bellow are only a handful of years old you should be fine. I changed out my original bellows two springs ago (18 years old and still not leaking)

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

and deck water spray dripping on shaft and traveling towards bearing. Trust me!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As far as the need to pull the drive each season, if you have the Merc coupler and can get at that grease fitting & can grease it, I would at least check the bellows very carefully for small cracks and as soon as you see any pull the drive & inspect the gimble & ujoints & replace all the bellows. Without the ability to grease it from the coupler unless you pull the drive the coupler splines will never get greased. That all by itself will eventually result in an expensive repair (pull engine to replace coupler).
Myself I still prefer the old fashioned greaseable gimble bearings and ujoints. Maybe pull it every other year if in freshwater and a trailered boat.
For me, moored in salt water there’s no question it’s best to pull it every year. You catch a problem when it’s a cheap problem not costing into the thousands or risking a catastrophic failure that could tear up the transom mount & sink the boat.

Last edited:

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
there is nothing wrong with the pics you posted. I would check engine alignment. If it is out it will make difficult to remove the drive. Drive should all but fall away from gimbal when the 6 nuts are removed.