New 1993 Evinrude 48spl

oldbuzz

Cadet
New owner of pontoon boat and motor. Believe it or not the engine has NEVER been used, but sat on the boat at a dock in fresh water until last month, I'm waiting for a gas tank and lines in order to try to start it and would appreciate any advice about what to be careful about to avoid damage.
When I removed the cover, there is NO sign of any bolt or screw ever being touched, even the starter thrust gear has no wear om it and the flywheel teeth still have paint on the contact surfaces.

oldbuzz

Cadet
Thank you! That rubber is probably deteriorated after all these years. Ordering one today.

phillnjack2

Ensign
take plugs out and spray inside the plug holes with some 2 stroke oil and petrol mix. try and use a straw type thing to get up and around the bores... pull the kill chord and spin it over for 10 seconds ...... take off the vro if fitted and get a normal old style pump.... remove carb bowls and see if there is any dirt /residue in them . if there is then buy the 2 new carb kits and replace with fittings supplied.... when you first start the engine use a 25 to 1 mix of petrol -oil if this motor has never been run it then go through atleast 4 tanks of juice before going mad..... if the pontoon is over 16ft then this motor is not realy big enough... do make surethan when at full throttle the cavitation plate is just barely above water. at cruising speeds should be just touching.... make sure once run in that the motor can reach atleast 5,000 rpm with a normal load on the boat, if not then drop down in prop size to do so.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If your going to do any water sports get a 2 size smaller prop and watch RPM. The gearcase will not live under heavy loads on these motors

oldbuzz

Cadet
If your going to do any water sports get a 2 size smaller prop and watch RPM. The gearcase will not live under heavy loads on these motors
Thank you all for the advice
. I have checked the carbs and cylinders both had been lubed before storage and look like new. I put it in a big trash can full of water and turned the key to hear a perfect quite humming motor. I'll pull the lower to check and replace the water pump impeller when the weather breaks. You all are the best!!