Never Know What You'll Find Out There - ARTICLE WITHIN THIS TIME!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
So I'm out fishing with my new neighbor yesterday afternoon. Fishing is slow so we're just hanging out. We notice a Goast Guard boat fly up on this guy a ways off and circle him for a while. I figure they're waiting for a tow or something (been there done that), got the binoculars on them but don't see much. Then the boat leaves and the CG stays there. Don't think much of it and we decide move to another spot about a 4 miles away. Not even a bite all day.<br /><br />Then just now I read this. Yup, this is where we were and what we saw. <br /><br /> EDIT: Deleted link. Contaminated with numerous pop-ups.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: Never Know What You'll Find Out There - ARTICLE WITHIN THIS TIME!

Awwwwww, poofed from pop-ups. Hey Steve, can ya at least describe the article for us? I'm on the edge of my seat. ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Now I am lost, need to know the event. I have sarcastic remarks, but nothing to apply them to.

KaGee

Admiral

Typical fisherman....<br /><br />Tells us about the big one.... only to end with... IT GOT AWAY! :eek: <br /><br /> :D

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

HAHA. Yeah sorry, stupid Aspbury Park Press web site does have pop-ups. I'll cut and paste, give me a minute. :D :D :D

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

JB, sorry about that! <br /><br />Here's the article:<br /><br /><br />Coast Guard: Fishermen found body in Raritan Bay <br /><br /><br />Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/25/04<br />By DAN KAPLAN<br />and KEITH BROWN<br />STAFF WRITERS<br />KEANSBURG -- Passing fishermen discovered a woman's body floating in Raritan Bay yesterday afternoon, the U.S. Coast Guard said.<br /><br />The woman was described as white or Hispanic, about 60 years old, and 5-foot 5-inches tall, said Sgt. Thomas Colela, of the State Police Marine Unit. <br /><br />The body may have been in the water about a week, Colela said. Positive identification was not made last night, he said.<br /><br />The woman, who was wearing black sweat pants and a gray jacket, was found about 1 1/2 miles north of Point Comfort around 4 p.m. by fishermen aboard the vessel Reel Panic, said Matthew James, command duty officer at Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook.<br /><br />James would not speculate on the cause of her death and said his office had not received any missing persons reports, nor were there any nearby boating accidents.<br /><br />The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, State Police Marine Unit and county Medical Examiner's Office were on scene last night to investigate.

sangerwaker

Commander

I've always thought how gross that would be, to be the one who finds the body after God only knows how long it's been there. We always worry a little about that when we ski the Mississippi. Lots of bad areas around the river up here.<br /><br />At least it provided a little entertainment for you, Steve!

KennyKenCan

Commander

That has always been a nightmare of mine, that while fishing or cruising, I'd run across a dead body.<br /><br />Finding a body in the water is one fine way of ruining a good weekend!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have always pondered that whole "floater" thing while out as well. We always have reports on missing boaters, swimmers, or fishermen. Some are found weeks later washed up on the shore long distances away. There is a lot of uninhabited shoreline here that is only accessible by boat. Its not uncommon for someone fishing to see something and go to check it out just to find out its a carcass of some poor bloke who drowned two weeks ago peeing off the side of the later found empty boat floating out in the lake. Thats why I always hold on to the console rail when taking care of bidness. No need to become another floater..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A few years back, I had a boat that was on 24 hour call for dragging duties for the local fire department cause they did not have anything but a 14' jon boat, if and when someone fell in the river.<br /><br />Never liked that idea, but thought, hey, it's the least I could do for the loved one's of someone missing.<br />Never knew what you would latch onto with them hooks.

KaGee

Admiral

Steve, a bet your glad you did'nt "hook" into that one!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I was on a job about 4 years ago, looking for a crashed areoplane (in Phillipines waters) that still had 11 people onboard. I was fortunate in that we didn't find the plane. The whole idea really sent shivers up my spine.<br /><br />Chris.......

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I am the lucky one then. Yes they are bad and no you do not want to find one! Unless it is a fresh one, even then it is not pleasant. Nobody in their right mind can even start to imagine.<br />Nuff said.

NYMINUTE

Captain

It is one of those things you least think about. So we are never prepared to deal with them. I have enough problem watching CSI without a for real experience. :eek:

aspeck

Staff member

Agree with deputydawg. Had one that was under for 50+ days (water was cold). Timex watch was only 5 minutes slow (could have been that way to start).<br /><br />Hint - use a blanket to pull them from the water, don't try to pull a limb.