Neoprene Life Jacket

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting a neoprene life jacket to wear while on the boat. Can anyone tell me if they are very warm in hot weather compared to a standard nylon covered foam jacket?

I want something that is more comfortable than my current foam one. I have a pair of neoprene waders and usually turn into a sweaty mess when the weather is just slightly warm. I am concerned the neoprene life jackets will be the same.

I know they make the inflatable jackets that would probably be best, but I just don't trust my life with them. I am a terrible swimmer, so I want to make sure I get something that will float me in the worst case scenario.

Happy Holidays,

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Neoprene Life Jacket

Yes. They are very warm. I have one that I use for riding a PWC. It is way more comfortable than a nylon covered one for most things. However, as you already suspect they are very warm if you aren't actually in the water. To just wear one while on the boat you would need to wear a shirt under it. Event then you will probably be warm and sweaty.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Neoprene Life Jacket

An auto inflating vest would be the most comfortable next to nothing at all. Expensive though.