Neighborhood Associations (Rant)

NYMINUTE

Captain
:D A friend of mine was recently told by his neighborhood association that the bylaws prohibit keeping a boat on a trailer( both licensed) on his property. The boat being a bit to long to garage, he was forced to move it to off site storage. Recently in the local news another homeowner was ordered to remove a playhouse he built for his daughter. This house was sided and roofed to match his home, 6’ X 8’, 5’ high, with windows and a door. The bylaws prohibited storage sheds, and the association decided this was a shed. This one is in litigation. In 2002 I was harassed by my association for my work van leaking tranny fluid on the street in front of my house. I reviewed the bylaws finding no reference to leaking vehicles. The “Block Captain” (I love the power of that title) and I came close to a brawl when a perspective buyer of the van test drove it and parked it in front of his house. Sold the van, and the house, and moved into the county where the “associations” are not necessary with 5+ acres of woods. <br /><br />Has anyone here at I-Boats had issues with these neighbor managed Associations?

ndemge

Commander
Re: Neighborhood Associations (Rant)

I havn't personally, but I've seen a lot of good and bad ones...<br /><br />They kind of have ya by the gonads when you sign their little piece of paper when you move in.<br /><br />Personaly, if I were to move into a subdivision that had these kind of rules in place, I'd talk to EVERY neighbor to get their opinions. <br /><br />Laws that prevent someone from painting their house polka dots, and prevent derilict vehicles from piling up in a backyard are good, IF the rules are used fairly, and the "block captain" aka rule nazi doesn't get a big head.

ehenry

Commander

Yup, I have !! Its exactlyt he reason I live in the country and I dare an SOB to come tell me what I can and can't do on my own property.<br /><br />The lady across the road painted her house purple with white trim. I didnt like it at first but it grew on me. The only time I have to look at it is when I go out my drive. Besides, its her house if she wanted to paint it booger green with yellow trim who am I to complain. Last time I checked its still a free country.

eeboater

Commander

My dad used to live in a neighborhood like that. He decided that he was going to put an in-ground pool in his backyard. While he was getting it installed, he thought he'd build a small out-building with a shower, bathroom, changing room, etc so when you are outside at the pool you wouldn't have to go all the way into the house to "take care of business." The neighborhood association told him that he was allowed to build an outbuilding, only if it was not visible from the street. Well, he had an 8 ft fence surrounding his property so, he could only build the building <= 8 feet tall. It wasn't going to work. So, end result = no outbuilding.<br /><br />I guess my solution to that is... don't buy a house in one of those neighborhoods.<br /><br />Sean

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ours is the complete opposite,I quit going to the meetings because they don't want to do anything.Sit there and listen to the minutes of the last meeting,that they did nothing at.A bunch of old folks that don't want to spend any of the money in the "kitty" to improve the neighborhood and don't want any money,because they don't know what to do with the money they have.What a joke!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Little pink houses !!<br />People must learn to read before they sign.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have heard of some not allowing basketball goals or visable patio furniture.<br /><br />Some go really overboard.<br /><br />I live in an old neighborhood and most people take care of their house. Only one person has ratty looking yard/house and a large boat trailer (but no boat) parked in their front yard. Several others have boats/cars neatly parked in the front next to the driveway. Doesnt bother me a bit.<br /><br />Ken

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

My neighbourhood is an established 50 year old once suburbia neighbourhood. We don't have an association or any rules. Most of my neighbours are great.<br /><br />There is one house that's a rental. Rusted out JAG on the front lawn. I called and it is now moved on to the driveway but now during non business hours they park other cars on grass. I can't get the bylaw officers to come during the evening.<br /><br />In some ways a neighbourhood association is a good thing.<br /><br />My city (largest in Canada) has very specific rule for boats/RV's. Boats and RV's can be parked in your driveway during the months that they can be used. Generally May through October. What this means is you can keep your boat in your driveway during these months for easy access. <br /><br />During the rest of the time, put it in storage. Many of you may say well it's my property. I like the by-law. Stops people from bringing home the 'Handy Man Special' 30 foot Carver that sits for year.<br /><br />Just my opinion.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

this is to keep those in check that have PUs on blocks, old couches, fridges, etc on the porch, and a still out back of the double wide......<br /><br />not thet thets wrong, mind you!

TilliamWe

Banned

Does this remind anyone of that "X-Files" episode????

KRS

Banned

These CC&R's, or Covenants Conditions and Restrictions are given to any person who signs a purchase contract on property in a HOA. People need to read the paperwork and choose to live somewhere else if they don't like it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I feel the same. I like have junk stuff about I call them projects. I am lucky to live far enough back no one bothers me.there is no way I would ever buy a house in the burbs and have to listen to cranks next door.<br /> if I wish to paint my house booger green and trim it with violet polka dots its my house,if ya dont like it avert your eyes when passing.<br /> but if you buy into a place with covenants and restrictions ya have to abide by them.<br /> here we have many associations, some even send me letters of non-complience. I usually send them a copy of the deed that dates to 1885 and kindly explain that me nor anyone in my family ever joined a dumbarse association and please leave me be. if they dont wish to see it dont trespass on my land. my house is 375 feet from the road down a dirt driveway in the woods. the only way to see my yard is from my yard. :) :)

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I agree that the associations can be a annoying. I think the sometimes they lack common sense when it comes to what you can and can't do. <br /><br /> In some ways they can be good too. Having a neighbor with a ugly, unkept house or with a bunch of junk around can really hurt your property value and your ability to sell your home.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget that CC&R's have no criminal clout so there is no one to enforce them except a civil court and someone has to pony up to take you to court. On a marginal issue would the HOA dig into their pockets?? Where is the money gonna come from. If you're paying association fees they probably have some horsepower, if not, they don't.<br /><br />If you violate civil ordinances, they can sick the the appropriate civil attorney on ya. But for a boat parked in your driveway or a color change of your house, simply in violation of the CC&R, the city or county attorney will laugh at ya.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

What's wrong with having a still out back of the double-wide? Long as the double-wide's in the back yard.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didnt watch it, but there was somthing on TV here in the Dallas area about Texas HOA's having the power to foreclose if you are out of compliance.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

They did forclose on a woman in Houston for not paying association fees.....but in the end, she got her house back.<br /><br />For the most part, they can be ok...although they need to use common sense. My wife was written up when she started painting her house. She painted the front 1 weekend....during the week it rained every day. She received a letter stating she needed to finish painting....now how do you paint a house in 1 week where it rains everyday.<br /><br />They wrote me up for my Travel Trailer once. Had it there overnight 1 night...they wrote me up. I see people that have them there for a month at a time!<br /><br />Sometimes they keep the values up by keeping items in check, but a lot of the times it is some dip**** that thinks he/she has authority and goes crazy!<br /><br />BTW, I sent a nice little email to them when I received my letter.....Never did get a response back! :D

KRS

Banned

So KeltonKrew.... did they invite you to the block barbeque? :cool: