Needs a new motor :(:(:(

bjdddworz

Cadet
Looks Like a need a new motor for my 1996 Monterey 230 Explorer. Block is cracked in curent motor and want to know where a good place is to purchase a new 4.3l 6cyl. engine. Or if there is a way to upgrade to a 5.7l V-8??

alldodge

Staff member
New crate motors can be found on a search or even contacting your local GM dealer
Reman motors are also on line, many have bought them from Michigan mortorz and Rapido Marine but this is only two sources
Can also get one from a junk yard finding a truck motor and then changing some parts.

You can go from V6 to V8 easy enough, but will need to move your motor mounts. Need exhaust and some other items and it can be done, unable to say for sure if a VP is as easy as a Merc

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here is a bit of reading on 4.3's

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...history-of-the-4-3-liter-with-casting-numbers

new motors as low as $2k

since 1996 was a cross-over year, you could have a 1995 non-vortec head motor or a 1996 vortec head motor. look at the intake manifold and check. 8 bolts is vortec, 12 bolts is non-vortec.

I myself would keep the V6 as a V6, and go with vortec heads and a 4 barrel intake.

if you switch to a V8, your accessory drive will move right over, however mounts need to be moved, exhaust needs to be changed, and drive should be re-geared

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You need to look around.

New motor from GM is $2k, new manifolds and elbows $500, new intake if you need it is $300

Its 4 hours of labor

alldodge

Staff member
Estamite is $5705.44

Engine $3868.00
Misc, $ 400.00
Labor $1140.00

Looks like the dealer is getting the block from Merc. BAM list it at $3618 MSRP, see near bottom of the list for long block assy
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31488/1940/15

Michigan Motors has it for $2349
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/remanufactured-marine-engines-c-31_51.html

They want $1540 to install which might be a tad high depending on you location. The Misc covers oil change, shop supplies etc. If the motor is easy to get to, it can be remove in an hour (2 people 1/2), if its hard to get to would take longer. While if the is a dealer shop they will probably not install a MM engine. Might need to find another shop

bjdddworz

Cadet
Looks as though the Ins. company is going to total out my boat. Now trying to find other boats like mine so I get a fair shake.

they are going to offer $5000 for a 1994 Monterey 230 Explorer. Just spent $2000 on new Interior over last winter. Boat is solid as hell. I See these boats selling for 10k to 13k for a 95 to 97. Yes I know it is not same year but close as I can get. Need help to get most bang for my buck when it comes to the insurance company.

Also can a person buy back a boat from the insurance company and part it out for more $$?

alldodge

Staff member
Also can a person buy back a boat from the insurance company and part it out for more $$?

Once the boat is bought back, the Company is done. Many boats are worth more for their parts the boat it self

Bondo

Staff member
Need help to get most bang for my buck when it comes to the insurance company.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Buy it back, 'n drop in a brand new long block,.... Yerself,....

iboats is the worlds largest,'n fastest, 'n probably the most knowledgeable DIY boat fixin' website, bar none,.......

We'll talk ya through it,...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
my buddy lost his outdrive (tooth broke off of a gear, got stuck between the gears when under full throttle). because the drive was a VP290DP and a new drive was more than half the boat, they totaled it........he bought it back for $2k, spent $2k on a rebuilt drive, sold the boat for $10k

find out what the buy back is, spend $3k on a new long block, intake and manifolds, spend 4 hours swapping everything over, go boating.

bjdddworz

Cadet
No Title

Ok while I was waiting to hear back from insurance company, I started lusting for a newer boat. And I found it lmao. A Regal Ventura 8.3se.

Then today insurance company said they mailed out a check for a reman. engine, labor and odds & ends, of $5155.76. PS. they did not total out boat

Am I crazzy to think of the following....
don't fix motor and part out boat, volvo penta dual prop outdrive: est $ for complete unit 4 to 5 grand??
Brand new upholstered seats $1500
Engine parts $500 - $1000
odds and ends, gauges and radio $500
Continental trailer #BLAZER2150 $2000

doing this would get me the Regal and a the used trailer in the picture.

I would be going from a 23' to a 27' boat
from a 4.3l V-6 to a 7.4l V-8
both have penta dual prop outdrive
seating is 2 extra people and a couple hundred more in weight
old boat no holding tanks or poddy
new on has 24 gal fresh water tank, pressurized for shower and a 12 gal black tank.

thoughts and opinions please.

Attachments

• photo280627.jpg
    photo280627.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Put a salvage yard motor in your current boat, sell it working and complete

bjdddworz

Cadet
Only problem see is doing that won't produce a 12k payday. Unless I am not seeing it. Nada says boat and trailer are only worth 9 to 10k

Scott Danforth

Staff member
spend $1k to fix it, sell your boat for 9, add the remainder of your $5k and you now have $13k

you wont get 4-5k for a boat with a busted motor

alldodge

Staff member
Brand new upholstered seats $1500
Engine parts $500 - $1000
odds and ends, gauges and radio $500
Continental trailer #BLAZER2150 $2000

Your not going to get 1500 for seats even if you find someone with the same boat, that's what you paid right?
Might get the cost for parts and odd/ends but how long will it take you to get it
While a new trailer will cost more then 2K used ones don't

alldodge

Staff member
Thought of something else. I'll bet the check coming in will be in your name and the dealer. The insurance company will not pay you the same labor rate as the dealer because you do not have the same overhead. Your 5K check might turn back around as 1.5K less