Need your opinion about replacing the original Reed Valves in my 1986 Evinrude 30 hp.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking at the bright side of my life. I will only get old and near death 1 time. (y)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say motor is running too cold when trolling.----Check thermostat.-----Should be able to troll for a week without having to change plugs every hour.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Excellent advice racerone. I have to get a I R temperature gun at HarborFright. in Watertown, N Y.

Maybe I should just change the thermostat. It is overdue on the number of years since the last change. That corrected all the plug fouling so quickly.
I am losing mental recall rapidly.
Only problem is having to do the change on the boat while it is on the trailer on land. With a white sheet spread out under the motor to catch the Plate Cover screws. I do drop1 or 2 sometimes

I really like the people who post on this site. (y)(y)

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I've had poor luck with ngks even though there's many on here that like them. Come up with your own opinion. Lean the two-stroke oil back, change the plugs possibly get an electric motor to troll with.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
After a 5 minute very fast idle. The thermostat housing was just a little hand touch warm. That is the problem.
Oh well . will have it put on the trailer & parked on the grass area. (y)

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Got very lucky. Found the 28 SPL motor parts bag. Still has 1 more T stat gasket. Spring . And the correct cover gasket.
No excuse to not do the repair in record heat. Need to buy some spare S S bolts. Need 1 to buy 5 spares. I am that dropsy now.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I am looking at the bright side of my life. I will only get old and near death 1 time. (y)
sorry to hear about poor health... .. just keep on boating and fishing !

see post from TEMU

Attachments

• Old man fishing.JPG
    Old man fishing.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 3

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
a common issue is the t stat seat in the head gets all oxidized and wont let the t stat seal properly in said seat. only real remedy is to get a new used head for $50 on ebay so it fully warms up.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the heads up about Oxidation being there. I will bring a drill and a small rotary wire brush. Also a piece of medium sandpaper.

ct1762@gmail.com

you bet. only if its idling under 125f though would that potentially indicate an overcooling issue

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Changed thermostat and have quick hot idle temperature. :)

But when I did a quick palm of hand over the carburetor opening at idle speed. Fully wet gasoline coated hand............. Looks like Reed Valve blocks next. Oh well. Somebody is going to get a Sweetheart Oldie. (y)

ct1762@gmail.com

Changed thermostat and have quick hot idle temperature. :)

But when I did a quick palm of hand over the carburetor opening at idle speed. Fully wet gasoline coated hand............. Looks like Reed Valve blocks next. Oh well. Somebody is going to get a Sweetheart Oldie. (y)
is it getting to full power? id think you'd get some fuel on your hand at higher RPM but if its wet that don't sound right to me :) those stock metal reeds can be open almost .015-.020'' and still function ok! common myth that any light seen through them when held up to a flashlight means they are bad.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
It takes a split second of cranking to start from cold engine. It fast idles with no pump squirts. When I did the palm over the carb opening. After full warm up. Almost no gas mist on my hand. Tomorrow I will remove both plugs and see if they are still getting oily & blackened.

I will also do the test of blocking the Squirter from dribbling into the carb.

flashback

Captain
At one point in my life I had a HD fat boy. The carb was pig rich and it fouled plugs faster than you could swap them, I re-jetted all the circuits in the carb. Worked for me.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you flashback. Since my only problem is now just the slowest speeds. I will do my first tank of Seafoam cleaner in the fuel tanks. I have forgotten to do that this spring.
" Old people can only remember to forget. " Famous Cyclops saying. :)
After the Sea Foam cleaner is put in both tanks. I will then put in the STANDARD heat range NGK sparkplugs to see if the engine is now running OK. On everything but idle speeds.

Last edited:

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you flashback. Since my only problem is now just the slowest speeds. I will do my first tank of Seafoam cleaner in the fuel tanks. I have forgotten to do that this spring.
After the Sea Foam cleaner is put in both tanks. I will then put in the STANDARD heat range NGK sparkplugs to see if the engine is now running OK. On everything but idle speeds.
Well you remembered that you forgot so you still in the game.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There are far Better Snake Oils than Seafoam, to put in the Gas in an attempt to remove Gum-Varnish. Merc PowerTune, or BRP Engine Cleaner. The risk of using any Cleaner in the Fuel System, is it will dislodge a clump of Gum/Varnish but not dissolve it, and that clump goes on to really plug up a Fuel Circuit, which, in a 2 stroke, results in a lack of Lubrication

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
For decades I have only used Marine Hi Test with no Ethanol in it. There has been no varnish build up. I also have a fine mesh filter in a glass bowel filter..
I also always run the fuel tanks to completely dry. I am just getting very forgetful about everything.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Surprise !! I just remembered a possible cause of idle speed sparkplug fouling reason. I asked the mechanic to RETARD the timing at idle. To prevent the engine from RIPPING the rope and wood handle out of my hand. Had a lawn mower severely bash my hand with a kick back. We did not specify any amount of idle retarded timing degree. I can start the motor with 1 or 2 pulls.
Is Idle timing easy to adjust with a timing light ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Surprise !! I just remembered a possible cause of idle speed sparkplug fouling reason. I asked the mechanic to RETARD the timing at idle. To prevent the engine from RIPPING the rope and wood handle out of my hand. Had a lawn mower severely bash my hand with a kick back. We did not specify any amount of idle retarded timing degree. I can start the motor with 1 or 2 pulls.
Is Idle timing easy to adjust with a timing light ?
The Timing is what determines the Idle Speed on that Engine, so Your Mechanic can't just retard it unless it is to lower the Idle Speed. It is not like on an Auto where the Idle Speed is set by the Carb Opening.