Need your opinion about replacing the original Reed Valves in my 1986 Evinrude 30 hp.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
The engine starts instantly. Hot or cold. warms up quickly. BUUTT
It will blacken & oil soak plugs after 6 to 10 hours at slowest in gear trolling speed. Plugs still work to start and go to WOT for 1 to 2 minutes which cleans them to new condition.
How many would just buy 6 new plugs each summer and not do the take apart routine?
The cost of 6 plugs is $ 18 dollars. I have 1 good eye and stage 4 terminal cancer I am 86.
Good shop is abut $240 That included removing engine, repairs & reinstall on the boat.
Yes or no ?
Thank you.

flashback

Captain
Might need some carb work but lets face it, hours of idling ain't the best for any engine other than a hit & miss

kbait

Commander
Reed valves not seating would cause a lean condition.. not your issue.
champion QL77JC4 plugs would normally be gapped to .030’. I gap mine at .035 since I troll slow also (supposed to help against fouling).. make sure you properly adjust your low speed mixture needle on carb front, as you may have it slightly rich.
Pre-gap some extra plugs, bring a plug wrench along and go fishing!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That motor will troll / idle all day long with no issues.----Test thermostat.----Check the primer / manual or electric.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
I have a TOO wide of a idle adjustment range. From 3/4 turn open to 1 and a 1/2 turns open. Are about the same speed, sound and good power acceleration.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All good suggestions but If it’s getting where you need to go and more importantly back home again I would just leave as is swap plugs when needed and enjoy it as long as you can.
All the Best to Ya.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Try 100 to 1 oil ratio for trolling only. Two gas tanks one with 50 to 1 and one at 100 to 1.

Or buy amsoil and do it all at 100 to one. I use BRP xd 50 on my thirty at 75 to 1 and go everywhere.

Glad to see with one eye and the big C your still out shaking it up.....keep it up and if there is anything I can do, reach out.

Best,
Matt

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have a TOO wide of a idle adjustment range. From 3/4 turn open to 1 and a 1/2 turns open. Are about the same speed, sound and good power acceleration.
That generally means there is enough Guck in the Idle Circuit that it can't supply enough Fuel to run really Rich, which 1 1/2 turns is

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
All EXCELLENT suggestions. I will Print this page and do all the suggestions.
Especially the 100 to 1 Trolling Ratio. I forgot this year due to sickness. Forgot to add some Seafoam to the first tanks. I will buy a IR dot gun to See if the engine is cooling off to much during idling & trolling. It would be my 3rd thermostat that became too cool.
I really am losing it now. I feel a lot better. (y)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Reed valves are nowhere near the sparkplugs.----Each set is for one cylinder.-----You are running with black plugs on both cylinders.-----Find & correct the real issue.----Looked at the primer system ??

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Will do. I can start the motor and warm it up with out using the Squirt choke. I will disconnect and plug the fuel line to it.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
If you don't need the "squirt choke" to start it it's probably running to rich.

Get a spark jump tester and see how far the arc will jump.
Might have weak coils or corroded wires. Carb is the most likely culprit though....

Ethanol, old gas stations, fuel filter, yada yada yada...

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Explain how you set the idle circuit jet....you got it to lean sneeze and opened it a quarter turn correct?

Link and sync....there is an updated procedure here...are you doing that?

What brand of spark plugs? Did you do kbaits suggestion?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Link and Sync are best when done as per the Factory Service Manual.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
You don't need a timing light.

Takes me about 3 times to get it right where I want it I'm afraid to say.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The engine starts instantly. Hot or cold. warms up quickly. BUUTT
It will blacken & oil soak plugs after 6 to 10 hours at slowest in gear trolling speed. Plugs still work to start and go to WOT for 1 to 2 minutes which cleans them to new condition.
How many would just buy 6 new plugs each summer and not do the take apart routine?
The cost of 6 plugs is $ 18 dollars. I have 1 good eye and stage 4 terminal cancer I am 86.
Good shop is abut $240 That included removing engine, repairs & reinstall on the boat.
Yes or no ?
Thank you.
Why are you trying to fix a motor that isn't broken? Sounds perfectly normal to me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Other than guessing about the reed valves , what trouble shooting has been done ?

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at the sparkplugs after about 1 total hour of trolling each day. Brand new plugs are black and covered with shiny oil. Gaps are .040. NGK hotter plugs that NGK recommended as safe to run forever at WOT. Last year I started using them with same problem. No trolling. No plug problems. If I do not change plugs as missing starts ? I can lose all power above a fast idle. Then have to change plugs at anchor somewhere.
I am in close to death medically. Pacemaker & Defibulator in my chest & end of life cancer. I am supposed to help myself.