Need to ID motor

JPsanta

Cadet
hi , 1st post here , bought a 1979 cruiser inc boat 21 ft , it has a v8 in it , the tag with the id by valve cover is gone , also no tags on outdrive , however it is electric shift , by the block number it was made between 69 and 73 , its a 307 , thats all i know , but did find couple numbers below passenger side head on a pad , numbers are 147097 V07081CT , would like to get a manual for this but i think i need to know the hp i have, please help and ty

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

1979 shouldn't be electric shift. They were into hydro-electric for a couple years at that point. Look for an OMC tag with a model number around the engine mounts. Model number would read something like "990267S1 1979."

Also put a few photos up ... that'll help narrow things down a little. It's possible someone stuck an older electric shift into your boat and kinda' made an OMC Frankendrive.

What kinda' shape is the boat in? Before you put too much into this, you may want to evaluate if you want to keep it: OMC Stringers have been obsolete for a LONG time and lotsa' people don't like 'em. This will be like caring for a vintage drive that not too many mechanics know much about.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
serial number tag should be riveted to block just above starter

drive serial number will also help

what is the year of the boat?

JPsanta

Cadet
boat is a 1979 cruiser inc Bonanza i think, number on block is 3970020 , is 307 made between 69 and 73

southkogs

Staff member
Wanna' get some photos of the drive up so we can see if they help a little?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
drive and engine are about a 1970-1973

are you sure on the boat year? did you check the HIN?

southkogs

Staff member
Scott beat me to it. Full electric shift. Even has the outboard "arm" steering.

JPsanta

Cadet
Thats what owner ships says , 1979 , no hull number , there is a plate by steering wheel , says Model 21621 , sn : 021084 , i assume thats for the boat , punched them in and found nothing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thats what owner ships says , 1979 , no hull number , there is a plate by steering wheel , says Model 21621 , sn : 021084 , i assume thats for the boat , punched them in and found nothing.
No HIN and a serial number, older than 1972

southkogs

Staff member
any idea what manual to get for this motor and outdrive
Outboardbooks.com

BUT - just a word of "caution." This drive is old, obsolete, finicky and parts are getting harder to find for them. The OMC Electric shift was done by 1977, and OMC was gone by the mid-90s. It's an antique drive and it will take time and attention in the garage. A lot of people will tell you to run from them (though I kinda' like 'em).

If the boat is in great shape and the drive is currently working, then you can keep them going with a moderate amount of maintenance. But if the boat or the engine/drive need work, do a gut check before you put too much work or money into it.

JPsanta

Cadet
seems to work fine , but does have noisy tappets, need to set them , not sure if there hydrolic or mechanical , is there anyone i can contact out there to find out the year and hp of this motor

Scott Danforth

Staff member
seems to work fine , but does have noisy tappets, need to set them , not sure if there hydrolic or mechanical , is there anyone i can contact out there to find out the year and hp of this motor
assume about 200 or 215hp some were 210, some 215. however at that time, that is flywheel rating with no accessories.

year is going to be between 70 and 73 based on the drive/engine

however by the looks of the boat and the fact that the boat does not have a HIN makes the boat older than 1972

so that narrows it down to 1970-1971 for the engine/drive and boat

that bit of rubber hose next to the carb is no legal unless that hose is USCG approved A1-15 type hose. same goes for the hose at the fuel pump.

except for some high performance automotive installations, the SBC had hydraulic lifters starting in 1956

kenny nunez

Captain
The last gray painted OMC engine was in 72. If the wrong oil without the additive has been used it may be possible the camshaft is going away. If you do remove the valve covers pay close attention that each rocker arm moves the same amount.
The one advantage that the high profile drives have is that the upper gear housing has much less chance of getting water in the oil. Water incursion really became a problem after the 73 and on low profile models.
Just take care of it. You may get a few more seasons out of it.

JPsanta

Cadet
did the bottom end , then the next one up , it has drain screw on right side and screw up top with a little dip stick , is there another to drain as i see a screw above the dip stick screw , look at pics