Need to bring boat from FL to CA - ship or cross country trip?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have experience with these types of adventures. The trailer will have blow-outs, and bearings will fail at the worst possible time. The gas will cost 3 times what you figure. The worst part is, what if you get there and the floor is soft, the transom rotting, or a hundred things you can't see in any photo. Please don't do this, find one closer to home. A fresh water boat you can check out before driving 3000 miles. I know you must want the boat bad. Think it through. That being said I have a 2001 Cobalt 226, and really like the quality of boat. I bought it last year for 9400.00 and put in a new engine. There are better deals out ,there keep looking. Dave-R

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've made the drive both pulling boats and without them, you won't make it in that time frame. I'm the type of person that can drive for hours on end and not feel the effects, I do it all the time, but after a few days you need a break. Pulling the boat will slow you down, especially getting permits, now factor in a spouse, most don't like hours upon hours of driving day after day.

As for the boat, Florida boats live a hard life, don't expect it to be in the same condition as a West Coast boat of the same age, FL boats sell for much because of this. I must admit though, I bought a boat in FL and pulled back home to Seattle. I flew in, looked it over, rented a truck and drove it back. It was smaller and no permits were involved, so towing wasn't as much of an issue.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
I wonder what happened here ? Any bets that OP is on his way to Florida already ??? :laugh:

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
- Slip Away, I'm still here in CA. :) I've been busy pulling over nights to finish up a restaurant job for a client to open back up on time.
- Thanks AllDodge for the tip.
- Ondarvr: good points about flying in. What kind of truck did you rent? How much was it? That would be one of the very attractive options. :)

I got it surveyed last week and results are in: hull is solid, no soft spot nor delamination. The upholstery is shot. There's gel-coat tracing and heavy chalking, faded.

I'm almost 85% off of the deal because of the condition and the cost involved to get it back & fixing it. But again, if I really want the boat bad, what would be the absolute max you would pay for it (assuming $3000-$4500 for either driving it back or shipping)?

Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
IMHO it's the wrong boat at any price...
Bad condition, over priced, too far away, too many unknowns, and not suitable for your stated needs.... Tubing with a boat that size is silly.... You're talking $80-$100/hr to pull a tube... Would make MUCH more sense to have another boat and or a jetski for water sports.