Need tips on punishing a 9 yr old

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need tips on punishing a 9 yr old

Ken,<br /><br />Have you considered flogging? No, really; I mean it!<br /><br />JK! JK!<br /><br /><br />JB's comment is about as insightful as I can imagine. He must be a great Dad and his kids must think the world of him. That is such a beautiful and, I'm sure, effective approach, I think I'm gonna use it if (when) the need arises. Way to go, Dad...er...um...JB! :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:)Children aren't perfect!!!<br /> If he only loves two things, then I would think ya would take one of them away for a time period!!<br /><br />If he is playing organized sports, on a team, and has to be there in order to play would be hard to take away!!! Then again if the coach has a rule,"if you don't come to pratice, you don't play" Then maybe a week away from baseball is in order!! Talk to the coach first!!! <br /><br />Hunting is seasonal and over in most places this time of year!!! So ya can't punish him next season for what he did now!!!<br /><br />Pick something that he hates to do around the property!!!!<br /><br />Maybe, just knowing your disaprovel will work this one time!!!! ;) :cool:

one more cast

Captain

Also sit him down and without yelling have an eye to eye talk with him about what he did and why it was wrong. Kids will listen.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Compound infractions, such as a misdeed aggravated by a lie, always earned me the harshest of punishment. While I wouldn't give the same kinds of punishments I received, I would remember what my dad said to me each time: "This is going to hurt me as much as it hurts you." Attempting to dodge responsibility for misdeeds through lying is a very serious behavior issue.<br /><br />As much as it pains you to deprive him of either baseball or hunting, I think that's exactly what you should do...only too late on the hunting part of it. I'd tell him no baseball for a month. And that the institution of an allowance will be delayed for six months and will only come about with perfect behavior in the interim---probation, if you will.<br /><br />Maybe I'm harsh, but that's how I see it.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> Ken, I guess I'll reply. The youngen already feels bad about the ordeal, I would smile at him and try to make him feel better. He is not gonna do it again anyhows now that he knows how you feel about this sort of activity, and reassure him that he can always come to you first with any bad news without fear. If he's growing up to be a "thug", now, that's a diferent story, but that's not the impression I get. Give him a break, and maybe reread JB's comments. Chief
I'm with the Chief.<br /><br />Work on improving the kid's sense of right and wrong rather than just imposing punishments. <br /><br />The Christrian Brothers and my father beat the crap outta me for large and small, and sometimes no, offences. Just made me tougher and more defiant at school and more frightened of and distant from my father at home. Not the way to go.<br /><br />Become the disciplinarian and your kids will fear you but they won't talk to you, and you won't be able to help them to the extent that any parent can help a kid who knows it all.<br /><br />My nearly 15 y.o. son asked me today what I'd do if he smoked dope.<br /><br />I asked him if he had.<br /><br />He said no.<br /><br />I know he's telling the truth. Or maybe he's not. But I trust him because although he's done things he shouldn't have he's always been honest when caught out.<br /><br />He still wanted to know what I'd do.<br /><br />I said I'd try to discourage him, just like I was now. (This is good coming from someone who tried a few puffs a few years older than he is.)<br /><br />He said he'd probably try it sooner or later.<br /><br />I said he probably would but I'd prefer he didn't, but if he was going to do it to make sure he didn't get caught.<br /><br />He said Huh! What do you mean caught?<br /><br />I said if the police catch you, you'll be charged and convicted and get a record and it'll really stuff up your chances for some jobs and you probably won't get a visa to the US to see New York like you said you wanted to today because the Yanks and a lot of other countries take a hard line on people with drug offences. You might be lucky to get out of Australia, assuming you can get a job with a drug record.<br /><br />Lots of silence at his end. He's thinking about it.<br /><br />Talk to them in ways that have an impact at the time rather than just imposing punishments that don't last.<br /><br />Be all that as it may, I reckon my kid is probably going to join the 70% who'll have a toke. I just hope he's now smart enough not to do it front of the police, and that he'll talk to me some time about it so I can at least get a bit of input into his conduct.<br /><br />If that doesn't work, maybe he can put me on to his supplier because I'm getting to the age where a bit of medicinal help would be OK.<br /><br />Rubber bands ain't that big a deal.<br /><br />We stole whole shops full of stuff under the shopkeeper's nose and so did lots of other people that turned out fine.<br /><br />Chill out, man!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Tink like I said, I would have been pretty light on the kid had he not lied to me.<br /><br />I am trying to teach him that whatever the trouble he is in, he needs to come out with it ASAP. Trying to hide it will just make it worse.<br /><br />Sounds like you have that trust with your son, that is what I want with mine.<br /><br />Ken

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It just seams funny to me that the obvious punishment is taken " off of the table" because it is "important". Important to whom ? to you ? If hunting and team sports are his passion, that is what must be taken away....forget about your ego or passion, this is not about you(and yes, the team will survive without him). This is about teaching your young one not to break the rules. If you feel guilty because this is the only time you have real interaction with your son, again, this is not about you.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Tink like I said, I would have been pretty light on the kid had he not lied to me.<br /><br />I am trying to teach him that whatever the trouble he is in, he needs to come out with it ASAP. Trying to hide it will just make it worse.<br /><br />Sounds like you have that trust with your son, that is what I want with mine.<br /><br />Ken
Ken, for what it's worth from another ordinary parent who's trying to do the best he can with horses that can't be rode that came with no instructions, I've always made a distinction with my kids between being upset about conduct and being lied to.<br /><br />My kids know that I and their mother regard lying to us as a lot worse than doing something wrong, because lying betrays the trust we have in them. It also has worse and longer lasting consequences. <br /><br />The consequence of losing trust is that we can't trust you to go to a friend's place or the movies and be home by the agreed time so you don't go, and so on. That concept is wasted on a 2 y.o. but that's when we started telling them about it. They gradually grasped it and now tell us the truth. Or maybe they're just real good at concealing it from us. At least they've never been caught out by independent evidence.<br /><br />I'm not into physical punishment, partly because I had a fair bit and you can learn to put up with varying degrees of pain if you get enough of it often enough. It also sends the wrong message that I can do this because I'm bigger, which ain't so good when a boy who's been toughened up hits maybe 15, as my old man discovered. One of the silliest things is to see a parent whack a kid for hitting another kid. <br /><br />When it's really serious I just tell my kids I'm disappointed in them because they've betrayed my trust by lying, or whatever it is. No shouting or carrying on (unlike big issues like not taking the rubbish bins out). Just calm, quiet, and give them the cold shoulder for a while, without being nasty or withholding routines like bedtime hugs. Manipulative, but it works. Happens less and less as they get older. I never had to do it more than 2 or 3 times a year at worst with each kid. Unlike feeling like hitting my challenging son lots of days.<br /><br />If they respect you and want your approval, which all kids do of their parents, telling them they've lost it over whatever the issue is a lot more painful and effective than a smack on the bum. Lasts longer, too. <br /><br />Also more adult and better training for what adults do. Someone mistreats us socially or at work, we don't usually hit them or deal with it physically. We just say things and if it's bad enough we withdraw from them.<br /><br />Then again the result of my approach is that my kids might go off the rails big time in a few years because of the way I've treated them. <br /><br />We do the best we can according to our principles and knowledge and abilities.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my view the stealing of the rubber bands is an act of foolishness rather than a criminal one. <br /><br />It is important that it be kept in perspective.<br /><br />In similar circumstances I have told my kid that while I didnt think it was crime of the century, it was unacceptable behaviour. I am surprised that something at this level was not dealt with in house . It sounds more like an issue of classroom control than anything else.<br /><br />I would ask him if he now thinks it was wrong to do this, and if so, why he didnt before. If you can get him to agree to think about the consequences of his actions and genuinely regret what he did, a serious talk with his Dad is probably enough punishment in itself. <br /><br />In my opinion making him understand the whole picture is what you are trying to achieve. A trivial enough incident that the excercise of a little mercy can only do good.