Need suggestions for rear guides on a trailer...

apw30534

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Launched the boat for the first time last week and it was a bit of a pain in the neck.
Getting off the trailer wasnt a problem... but with the strong side current I had to make several attempts getting back on the trailer. Actually had the trailer too deep and overshot the bunks the first time. After figuring that out it still took a few tries to hit the winch post.

Previous boat/trailer combo was cheap aluminum but it had long vertical guide posts on it. I never missed with that one... and even if I came in at a bad angle it would self correct every time... like driving into a funnel.

Problem I have with this new trailer is the fender/step arrangement. There is no easy way to mount a guide post without it 6" sticking out past the already wide 8ft-6in boat.
I ordered a set of rubber roller style guides and they look rugged enough... but again, no cookie-cutter way to mount them and I dont want to hack up such a beautiful/pristine trailer.

Any ideas ?

I was thinking about low mount carpeted side bunks, but then my concern is putting the boat over top of them... whereas a tall roller guide wont have that issue.

Can someone throw some thoughts/ideas at me ?

Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 20220908_134059_resized.jpg
    20220908_134059_resized.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220910_182906_resized.jpg
    20220910_182906_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220911_114428_resized.jpg
    20220911_114428_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The steps behind the fenders look stout enough to support guides, so bolt 'em there,......

I boat where many of the launches get deep, quick, so I like tall guide poles myself,....

apw30534

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,.... The steps behind the fenders look stout enough to support guides, so bolt 'em there,......

I boat where many of the launches get deep, quick, so I like tall guide poles myself,....

Yeah the last trailer had 5ft PVC poles on it and was super easy to load.
My biggest concern now with that system is scratching the black boat... hence the roller style I ordered.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Since the boat is new to you, could be you just need to find the sweet spot as far as trailer depth.

My trailer is a bunk trailer and I need about 1/4 of the forward part of the forward bunks above the water surface. My fenders are just below the water surface.

When I shut off the engine and coast up to the trailer, the boat hits the forward bunks and they totally straighten the boat out. It doesn't hit the bow stop, but ends up short of it by 12" - 18". I winch the rest.
It seems to need that bit of friction from the bunks to correctly guide it.

If my trailer is too deep, it will overshoot the bunks and it will end up all crooked.

If my trailer is at the correct depth, the boat will always properly sit on the trailer. Guaranteed. Perfectly even all around.

apw30534

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since the boat is new to you, could be you just need to find the sweet spot as far as trailer depth.

My trailer is a bunk trailer and I need about 1/4 of the forward part of the forward bunks above the water surface. My fenders are just below the water surface.

When I shut off the engine and coast up to the trailer, the boat hits the forward bunks and they totally straighten the boat out. It doesn't hit the bow stop, but ends up short of it by 12" - 18". I winch the rest.
It seems to need that bit of friction from the bunks to correctly guide it.

If my trailer is too deep, it will overshoot the bunks and it will end up all crooked.

If my trailer is at the correct depth, the boat will always properly sit on the trailer. Guaranteed. Perfectly even all around.

Yeah I think I will give it a few more tries before I hack up a nice trailer.

Against my better judgement... I was trying to go by how the previous owner did it at another boat ramp... and it obviously didn't work out.

Typically I will back down the ramp until I see the back of the boat start to float and will stop there. I take note of where my rear tires are on the ramp/in the water and call that the happy place.
It's enough to power the boat off the bunks without it floating away on it's own.
For loading on the trailer... I do the same in reverse. I back down the ramp to the same depth that worked to unload and it does exactly as you say. It catches the bunks and straightens the boat out as it comes up the trailer.

I think I just plain screwed up and deviated from my normal routine because of the unfamiliar boat/trailer. Putting the trailer too deep in the water just compounded the issue.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Funny thing. My son had that same boat and it lunched and retrieved like a dream. Of course, his Dad had 45 years experience and taught him well.

99% chance you have the trailer too deep. Drive it on and you won't have a problem.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah I think I will give it a few more tries before I hack up a nice trailer.

Against my better judgement... I was trying to go by how the previous owner did it at another boat ramp... and it obviously didn't work out.

Typically I will back down the ramp until I see the back of the boat start to float and will stop there. I take note of where my rear tires are on the ramp/in the water and call that the happy place.
It's enough to power the boat off the bunks without it floating away on it's own.
For loading on the trailer... I do the same in reverse. I back down the ramp to the same depth that worked to unload and it does exactly as you say. It catches the bunks and straightens the boat out as it comes up the trailer.

I think I just plain screwed up and deviated from my normal routine because of the unfamiliar boat/trailer. Putting the trailer too deep in the water just compounded the issue.
I never power the boat off or onto the trailer. No need to. Plus it's bad for the ramp to stir up the soil which can create a hole for someone to get their trailer tire stuck in.

When dropping the boat in I just back in and tap the brakes, it just slides off the bunks.

If someone is with me, they hold the ends of the lines and tie the boat off to the dock as I drive off.
If I'm alone, I can either tie ends of the lines to the dock or if that's too far I tie off to the trailer or truck and walk the boat over to the dock.

Just the other day I was retrieving the boat. There was a guy on the other side also retrieving, but he was power loading. I was watching him and grinning to myself while I coasted, shut the engine, trimmed up and floated right onto the bunks.
I had it winched and pulled out before his boat was out of the water. In fact, he was walking around in the water messing with the boat. My feet never got wet.
It's all about knowing your rig.
Proper trailer depth is key.

Last edited:

apw30534

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I never power the boat off or onto the trailer. No need to. Plus it's bad for the ramp to stir up the soil which can create a hole for someone to get their trailer tire stuck in.

When dropping the boat in I just back in and tap the brakes, it just slides off the bunks.

If someone is with me, they hold the ends of the lines and tie the boat off to the dock as I drive off.
If I'm alone, I can either tie ends of the lines to the dock or if that's too far I tie off to the trailer or truck and walk the boat over to the dock.

Just the other day I was retrieving the boat. There was a guy on the other side also retrieving, but he was power loading. I was watching him and grinning to myself while I coasted, shut the engine, trimmed up and floated right onto the bunks.
I had it winched and pulled out before his boat was out of the water. In fact, he was walking around in the water messing with the boat. My feet never got wet.
It's all about knowing your rig.
Proper trailer depth is key.
I wish there were docks adjacent to the ramps... but unfortunately they are 50 yards away.
Its never an easy job... even when everything goes right.
I had a good 1-man system with the previous boat... but this one is alot more difficult to climb into from the trailer tongue.

I will get it figured out. Might just take a few times to get a system that is smooth and comfortable.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I wish there were docks adjacent to the ramps... but unfortunately they are 50 yards away.
Its never an easy job... even when everything goes right.
I had a good 1-man system with the previous boat... but this one is alot more difficult to climb into from the trailer tongue.

I will get it figured out. Might just take a few times to get a system that is smooth and comfortable.
The dock is 50 yards away. That's poor planning on whomever built it.

Yep, should just be a matter of getting used to a different setup.
You'll get a new routine down I'm sure.

How's the shoreline? Can you just beach the boat or is it rocky?
If it's rocky, I guess you'll have to get into the boat or have someone in it while releasing it.

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
I had steel poles welded to square stock welded to the trailer frame, and schedule 40 pvc with end caps slide over that, just brush painted the metal.
Cost under $300 total . My ramp is crossways to the tide and wind, very strong at times, steep, sometimes in opposing directions. The pvc is free to turn and leaves no marks.
IMG_20220904_115504.jpg