Need some words of encouragment

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need some words of encouragment

What worked best for me was using the mirror.

With hands at the top of wheel I'd try and either aim the trailer down a painted line or keep directly (straight) in line with my vehicle. As the trailer began to drift toward a line, I'd turn the wheel toward the line until it would straighten out.

i.e. while backing and constantly looking at both mirrors, I see in my right mirror the trailer drifting toward the right line. I turn the wheel toward the "offending mirror" and get it back in line.

While I'm constantly looking at both mirrors, I'm comparing the margins between the tires and the painted line. If I see a margin larger on left, the left mirror is now the "offending mirror" and i turn the wheel toward it.

The same without the lines.....i watch the boat/trailer and the mirror that starts showing more and more of the side of the boat (because it's out of straight line) I turn toward that mirror.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Take her time, and tell her just to remember she is driving the trailer. She is no longer really driving the tow vehicle at this point. Tell her to always back to the drivers side (easier than backing to the passenger side) Remember GOAL if she is nervous tell her not to be afraid to get out and look. Backing is 90% in the setup. As soon as her passenger door passes the ramp cut the steering wheel as hard as she can to the left until the rig is fully straight if possible. It is much easier to back straight than backing at an angle. Slowly but surely is all it takes. After a while she will get to where she can back a 28 foot boat and truck into a 27 foot space :) it just takes patience. That is spectacular compared to my wife who doesn't even like to pull the boat out let alone back it in. So KUDOS and just slowly but surely. Ohh and if you really want to teach her to back get a bunch of cones hook the boat and truck up take her to a big deserted parking lot and let her learn how it handles that way she may not be so gun shy at the ramp. My wife really loves it when I parallel park the boat and truck.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Put a hitch on the front of the truck.

Have actually seen that. MIL had a 24 foot pontoon that stayed in the water year-round. Occasionaly pulled it out with a 70's something, left-hand-drive Post Office jeep, ball hitch on the front bumper. Plenty of stares and pointing fingers. Funny as hell :D

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After a while she will get to where she can back a 28 foot boat and truck into a 27 foot space :)

Will take a LONG while considering the boat is only 16 feet! I recently looked at a deep 20 foot ebbtide for sale with a nice random axle trailer. That would have been a better trailer to learn on instead of a short single axle.

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With enough practice, she will get it. I can't get my lady to even pull a empty trailer, and I asked her if I could teach her to back up one. The look she gave me was almost evil. Anyway, imagine this... I tow 18 wheelers for a living. Imagine trying to back those things up. There are 2 pivot points- one at the 5th wheel of what I'm towing, and another on the crossbar of my wrecker, all done using mirrors, and at a total length of 130'. That took a wee bit of practice, but I got it figured out. Basically its a double backwards deal if that makes any sense. Only problem is I tend to forget for a second when backing up one of the boats that I now only have one pivot point and I look like a newb at the whole thing, lol! Good luck and take your time. Congrats to all of you guys that have the ladies who at least try.... Wish mine would.