Need some prop help.

Bull54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
I am running at 4500 RPM and need to be between 5000-5600 RPM I am running 23mph WOT and I think it should be lots more than that but more concerned with rpm.

2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless and as a minimum.
SOLAS # MC42 Aluminum

3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
11.1 X 13

4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
4500rpm and 23mph

5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP

1988 Mercury 45HP this is the 4 cyl model (this is considered the OLD "Classic Fifty"

6) Boat make model, year, length and weigh

1997 J16 Carolina skiff, 16', not sure about the weight.

I have tried a couple of diff props with using an 11X 11 and it increased rpm to between 4700-4800 rpm and increased speed to 25mph. Used a 10X12 and it did not change at all. Really not sure what I need to do at this point. The motor has been raised so the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the boat. Carbs were just rebuilt, all new fuel hoses etc and fuel tank. I do have an SE 300 style dolfin on it and fixing to take that off and try it without it on to see if that will make a difference.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some prop help.

Taking the foil off is an excellent starting point.In my opinion the boat should be around 30 mph.I think you will see an improvement.Raise the motor to a point just before venting(cavitation) becomes a problem.I think the 11 X 11 will be close.
Max rpm rating is 5,500 you should run at least at that.
Hole shot without the foil may be slow but there are better choices to solve that.
When changing props you should stick with the same brand and model to maintain more predictable results.Once a strong base line is established a type change may be in order.

Bull54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need some prop help.

Ok removed the foil and hope to test in the water tomorrow.:confused: