Need some info on a Merc 9.9

Hopper

Cadet
Hi all, I recently came into a Mercury 9.9 motor and was hoping to find out the year and maybe some tips about the motor. The serial number is 0D025951 I'm pretty sure the motor was dunked and then sat for a few years, after cleaning out the sludge from the carb it now seems to run fairly good. Is there anything I should check before I take it out on a test run? Also one of the fins (not sure of the name) on the lower unit is broken. Will this affect the operation very much? Any options for fixing this without buying a rebuild lower unit?<br /><br />Any help is greatly appreciated!!!<br />Thanks,<br />Scott

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need some info on a Merc 9.9

The fin is the cavitation plate,if it's the one just above the prop. It might pull in the direction of the good fin, or may cavitate. If there is 1" left, you could install a "Doelfin" stabilizer fin. These<br />are a plastic fin that looks like a set of airplane wings. They were designed to improve<br />grab and help bring the boat to plane faster.<br />It would look kinda silly on that little motor, but I put one on a 7.5Merc after I cut 3" off each "wing". It did help,but still looks kinda odd.<br /><br />------------------<br />the Early bird get's the worm...So, he don't have to stop for bait.

Hopper

Cadet
Re: Need some info on a Merc 9.9

Thanks for the help!<br />I'll look and see if I can get one of those plastic fins to mount on there.<br />Thanks again!