need some info 1962 Lark 4 40 HP

Autowizzard

Cadet
I got a this boat and motor for free , But surprise it runs, I few questions if anyone can help ( i'm going to order a manual but am impatient) Where do you fill the lower unit oil? I see a level plug and found the drain but not sure what kind of oil and where to fill it? Second does anyone have a wire diagram The motor won't shut off with the key so I need to know what wire to cut power to to make it turn off, Lastly If it's in gear how much free play should there be with the prop? I can turn it prob 120 degrees before it grabs, I have a feeling that's too much but out of the water it goes into foward and reverse. Thanks for any input

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need some info 1962 Lark 4 40 HP

Changing lower unit oil

There are 2 straight slot screw on the starboard side of the lower unit. Top is vent plug, bottom, drain and fill plug. ( do not touch Phillips head screw).

Remove the bottom plug, put container under lower unit, now remove the vent plug, while the oil is draining, replace the seals on the plugs part # 311598, buy several of these, ( they are a one time use item)

Walmart and many places sell a little hand pump. To use to fill the unit, you insert the tube into the bottom hole, and pump till oil reaches the vent hole. Install the vent screw, then remove hose, install the drain-fill screw, clean up mess.

The screws can be hard to get out, do not mess up the head. You may need to employ an impact screw driver to break them loose.

do not have wiring diagram, but do not mess with it till you get it. if you just happen to cross the wrong wire you will blow up the coils.

pull the prop can check the shear pin.

read the TOP SECRET FILE. there are several things you need to do before you run the motor in the water.

lindy46

Captain

Yes, service manual will have the wiring diagram. There are two (black?) wires which run from the points to the key switch, one via the cut-out switch, which ground the points and stop the motor when the key switch is in the "off" position. If those wires are disconnected/broken, the motor won't stop. You can stop the motor by choking it until you get the wiring figured out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 1962 Lark was made in two versions: Manual shift and Selectric shift. By your description, you have the manual shift. But just be aware of this before ordering parts and stuff.

Autowizzard

Cadet

Thank you So basically I fill it from the bottom up? Goofy, I'm guessing 80/90 gear lube should work unless advised otherwise, already cleaned the carb, I will say I'm impressed with how well designed this old think is, Sure better than my force and it's 24 years newer and already dead.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Fill S-L-O-W-L-Y from the bottom. allow air to escape through the top plug hole.

What did the old oil look like that is important.

Not a good idea to leave the thing with out oil and open to the air for any extended period of time.

Autowizzard

Cadet

It was slightly milky so I think it might need a reseal, But this boat has been sitting a long time so I figure I will change it run it for a little bit and recheck it to see what it looks like, This boat will be used on a little lake so I'ts not going to have much run time just to get into the lake for fishing