Need some hull repair advise please!

lil_jason17

Cadet
I need to fix this. I'm hoping to just fill this with some sort of epoxy. Opinions?

Attachments

• 0418111754a.jpg
    0418111754a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0

rickryder

Commander
Re: Need some hull repair advise please!

I don't think filling it is going to work....You have water infiltration in your hull and foam.... This may/will require patching from the inside and out.... I will let someone else with more knowledge on this type of repair chime in....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

It would not be advisable to just fill this. You should remove from the trailer and grind and glass. How big of a repair area will be determined on how much glass is busted up under the gelcoat ( your going to have to do some grinding to remove the gel to see the extent of the damage ).

Also..can you get to the inside in that area ? What kind of boat ? GW ?

YD.

Jagid

Cadet

I'm just a newbie around here, but I'd like to see the experts response to this also.

this is my best GUESS

1 mold a heated piece of waxed plexiglass around the bottom of the boat where the hole is, a couple inches larger than the hole in all dimensions

2 remove the foam above the hole inside the boat, grind and feather the fiberglass around that hole (from inside the boat)

3. wax the snot out of that piece of plexiglass, and then clamp/duct tape it to the hull on the outside.

4. startin with a piece of resin soaked glass cloth just bigger than the whole, lay it in there, and repeat, with each piece of cloth being bigger in all dimensions than the one before, untill your last piece of cloth fills the entire feathered bit.

5. pull off that waxed plexiglass after the glass+resin has set..

6. sand and fair from outside...

am I close? experts?

Jagid

Cadet

dang.. while i was typing Yacht Dr was posting.

lil_jason17

Cadet

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like this job may be better left to the professionals then. I have no body/fiberglass experience what so ever. Hopefully it does cost too much.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have no body/fiberglass experience what so ever. Hopefully it does cost too much.

You might want to get some experience. My guess is it will cost you dearly.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You might want to get some experience. My guess is it will cost you dearly.

Unfortunately it will hit your pocketbook hard done correctly..

Trailer that boat around to the local shops and start getting prices..and ask why so much and you will get an Idea of what is involved with this repair if you ever plan on DIY.

What kind of boat is it ? GW ?

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the boat can be fixed by you !

even with basic tools and simple understanding........iboats can guide you.

the first thing is to read here......read more ....then start reading.
ask questions......and then roll up your sleeves.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like this job may be better left to the professionals then. I have no body/fiberglass experience what so ever. Hopefully it does cost too much.

I hope you make the right choice here.. yes we can help..but your tools and materials will cost half that of the repair.

If you want to become a DIY structual fiberglass repair guy..then by all means do it...If not then send your repair over to a Good glass guy. ( yes you will spend out the nose like hiring a lawyer .. but.. if its not in your realm then is it worth it ? ) ..

YD.

PS. $ 90 bucks an hour will add up quick...and you will pay. But sometimes its cheaper to go the route of someone else..

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree,
The self-full-filment ( NO SPELL CHECK) you get out of this kind of work is worth it.
Glad to see you oops.

lil_jason17

Cadet

well i just dropped it off at a local fiberglass repair shop as i just dont have the time right now for a DIY job. he quoted me 3hrs labor and seemed pretty confident with it. thanks for all the help though, you guys are great. ill let ya know how it turns out.