(need some help) 1996 sport jet 90HP carb problems !!! wont idle and wont always srt

emoney

Commander
Re: (need some help) 1996 sport jet 90HP carb problems !!! wont idle and wont always

You better check your ride plate, just in case. 30 seconds is more than enough time to blow it.

seabasss

Cadet
Re: (need some help) 1996 sport jet 90HP carb problems !!! wont idle and wont always

what is the ride plate

seabasss

Cadet

i actually got my spark back by disconnecting the black wire with yellow stripe, from the cdm side,
but it still doesnt want to start i have a feeling im not getting fuel in the cylinders but im charging the battery up tonight and then taking it to the boat launch in the am. hopefully i get it started and it idles for me ?

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then you must have some electric problem with kill switch, ingnition switch,neutral switch on gas level, ore rew limiter.

Fuel. Take off the fuel hose comming in to first carb from fuelpump. Put hose in a plastic bottle. Turn engine over and look so you have good flow of gasoline. Shall be from 3,5-6psi on WOT. Check also in lid of fuelpump, you have a steel screen filter (#18). Also be shure you put the lid (#25) in the position shown on picture , with inlet in 4 o klock position.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/2011_80.cfm

If fuelpump don?t pump as i shall, it?s normally diaphragm (#6) that?s broken, ore some of the 3 valves (#11) that not closing. Check also hose conected to the fuelpump from engine block (vacuum hose). BE SHURE you have full gas flow to the engine. Otherwise you can burn the pistons. That i have done :facepalm: .

Check also from gas tank so pick-up is free and filter ok if you have that before fuel pump. Check also if you have hand pump (bladder), the can clogg sometimes, becaurse they have two back-stop-valves. And fuel-hose.

Also check the timing with a lamp. 8-10 degrees on ideling. 30 on WOT.

seabasss

Cadet

i just sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it fired right up, im going to drop it in the water later tday and see if i can run the engine for 30 or so minutes to see if the seafoam clears up any clogged jets ?
how do you turn the idle up on the motor? maybe that could help solve the idle issues.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it start and run well when you do that. And start?s right up without spraying it when engine is warm. It?s probably choke/enritchiner that?s not work.

seabasss

Cadet

well, i took the boat out for about 2 hours and it run great !
starts right up, idles, has great power,
but... on the way back in about 100m away from the boat launch i put it in neutral for a minute, then when i engaged the drive the engine reved up but i didn't really go anywhere ? like i sucked in something ?
when i pulled the boat out of the water their was a tiny little bit of sea weed in the intake but it didn't seem like enough to drastically slow the boat down?
im hoping the next time i take it out it has thrust !

what would happen if i blew my ride plate gasket ??

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Somtimes when it?s weed ore something in just wrong place on the intake plate, it can feel like a bigger problem. Ore twisted around the impeller shaft. If you got something stucked in the impeller (like a little stone) it feels like the engine has a rod gone if you try to rev it.

If you blown the plate gasket you shall see it hanging down, some gap/ missing piece ore blacked boat bottom/ ore back end from exhaust gas leaking out. I had one on the side in the back leaking, and it blacked the hull + made boat cavitate when turning, and starting from stop full throttle.

seabasss

Cadet

yea it was just a smalll piece of wood stuck in the impeller !
got it out and its running great, i just need to find out exactly what the electronic problem is and replace the part, and it still need to be started with starter fluid ? so im guessing its the auto enricher ?

anyway, the boat is tons of fun and seem to be reliable ! im entering in a company fishing derby on the 22nd of this month! hope i win!!

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

814329T6 | AUTO ENRICHNER
Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc.
Part Numbers : 814329T6

Check so the ideling screws are opened as they should be. Around 1 1/2 out from (EASY) screwed down, in bottom.

seabasss

Cadet

so im pretty sure he auto enrichner is not working and i think it has somthing to do with the key switch?
im pretty sure thats messed up do you have any idea on what wires in the key switch to connect so that i can have ignition on, choke, and starter on,,, ? ill cut all the wires and reconnect them to by pass the key switch.. if it works this way i know all i have to do is buy a new ignition/key assembly.. im guessing this is why i need quick start to start the bat everytime

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi.

The auto enritchiner gets it power directly from the stator as fast as the engine start to turn ower.

Look on the auto enr., you shall have two yellow wires. These two leads shall be connected to the yellow leads from stator. It works atomaticly. You shall not need to do anything for it to work. The wires go directly from the stator to the Auto enr. , not over key switch.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/2012_60.cfm number 24 in picture.

Check also so all hoses to it is ok not cracked, and so they are open, not clogged.

http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/service_manual/jet/SJ90_120_95xr_125xr_831996r1/sec2b.pdf

Side 2b12 you see how it?s connected on the schematic.

Regards.

seabasss

Cadet

ok, i did notice the yellow wires going to the stator but they also got to the switch box,
i was trying to test the enricher with a test light, so that explains why it was not reading i guess the only way to tes the enricher wires is if the motor is running, someone told me you can here the enricher click when you turn or puch the key, and it didnt make any noise so i thought it wasnt getting power.....

so maybe the enricher is not the problem at all ?

one thing i do know now for sure is the no spark issue i had before was coused by the rev limiter... i thought it was the key switch so i replaced it and it didnt fix anything, so i connected kill wire on the engine and disconnected the revlimiter and i have spark, so i dont have to lift the engine cover to kill it anymore...
but now it wont start again?
even with quick start it just turns over but no ignition? and their is spark so i just have no idea now?

thanks for all your help and ideas!

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the auto enr. is parallely connected with the switch box?. No to the Retic/volt regulator.

You can test the Auto Enr, just disconnect the two leads on the Auto enrc.. if you ohm it and see so you have reading, next step is to take it of, look through it so it open in cold state, in air pasage and fuel passage. And when engine run for like 2-3 minutes it shall be closed.. And if you put 12 volt on the leads it shall close after like some minute.

So i tested mine.

If you have good spark and in right timing, when turning over engine, and it will not start. + compression ok.. You must have som fuel problem.

Auto enritch...

Reeds.

Carbs.

Fuelpump and filters.

Fuel lines and pick up .

seabasss

Cadet

its definitely a fuel problem !
the spark issue was actually my rv limiter,
one of the starting issues was the over flow line from the carb thats goes to the enricher was on the bottom carb instead of the middle !
so i switched it to the middle and it started right up,
but the enricher is still not getting power ?? after making that change i took it out it started right up and ran well, then i pulled up i a beach for 15 minutes and got back in tryed to start it and it wouldnt start? i pulled off the top plug and it was dry, so i spayed a little qucik start in the plug and it fired right up? im guessing if the enricher was working that i would have any problems

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi . The auto enr. Don?t need power to work as choke. It?s open and shall choke when cold and engine cold.

It need volt power to close so it?s not chokeing engine. It closes after like 2-3 minutes with power on the leads when engine runs.

If you ohm the two yellow wires on the auto enrc., you shall have 18-20 ohm on cold Auto enritciner.

Also check the linkage from gas trottle wire all way to carbs and to trigger and oilpump, so it?s correct tuned in.

If Carbs not fully closed on ideling position, the auto enritciner dosen?t work.

batboat11

Cadet

i have a 120 sprotjet, it wasrunning bad and would not start, the top idol screw would not make a difference when i adjusted it, i could remove it when it ran and nothing changed, i removed the plastic intake cover that joins the carb, diconnected the linkage that joins the carbs and found the top carb spittng gas back out when i reved it up and the bottom carb was picking it up, i was asked to remove the reed valve plated behind the carbs and found several broken valves, if nouthing else it is in your best interest to check them while you have the carbs off it only takes a minute, i replaced them with boysen valves, good luck mark batboat11

batboat11

Cadet

i had the same problem cracked reed valves located behing the carbs, actualy some were broken off. thanks batboat11