Need replacement for fuel tank pickup tube.

84CJ7

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2 moeller side mount gas tanks and the fuel pickup tubes were extremely thin wall vinyl (or so iam told) and have both turned to chalky yellow plastic and disintegrated (alcohol in the fuel iam told) I picked all the bits out of the bottom of the tank, but now I have no pickup tubes, the fitting is a barbed one with threads on it where the tube goes on it then it screws into the tank, the problem is that all the vinyl tubing I can find is too fat walled to fit through the threaded hole, so either I have to find some thin wall 3/8 tubing or I have to find something else that will work. Or I have to dump 2 $130 tanks because 3 feet of hose **** itself.<br />Need to get new screen ends too.<br />I wonder if the manufacturer can send them to me.<br /><br />This is the port tank:<br /> http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=39529 <br /><br />and the starboard one of the same type too.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need replacement for fuel tank pickup tube.

Use Copper Tubing instead of Vinyl Tubing.......<br /><br />Solder the Copper Tubing into the Brass Fitting,+ Drop it In.........<br /><br />A small piece of Screen can be wadded into the End if you wish,...... I'd just Skip that part Myself......<br /><br />I've built several Pick-up Tubes this way.......<br />I cut the tubing to be about 1/4" from the bottom of the tank.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bondo, are you talking about using copper tubing with the slip nut and ferrel? slip the tubing in to where it is 1/4" off bottom, the tighten the nut on to the brass fitting, and the ferrel seals the joint.

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,........<br /><br />I'm talking about sanding,+ fitting the Copper Tubing Directly Into the Brass Elbow,+ Soldering it Together.................

Realgun

Commander

Bondo thats a great Idea. I wonder though if you can get a fuel tube to go through a double barbed screw cover also. That way the hose can move on the bottom if the screen has a weight like my chainsaw has.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Just be sure that you measure the length of the copper tube properly, also cut it at an angle. I replaced my nylon tube as described by Bondo above. I thought that I carefully measured it's length.<br /><br />I ended up having fuel delivery problems and assumed it was the aging fuel pump. I only discovered the true story during my resto. I pulled the fitting out of the tank and looked inside with a light. The whole bottom of the 30 y/o aluminum tank was bronze colored except immediately under the bottom of the new copper dip tube. There was a dime size spot of shiney aluminum.<br /><br />It turns out that flex in the floor was pushing the top of the tank and thereby the copper dip tube a hairs breadth away from the floor of the tank. The fuel pump could not suck enough fuel for the motor other than at idle. I only had the problem when I had a boat load of people standing on the floor above the gas tank.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Realgun:<br /> Bondo thats a great Idea. I wonder though if you can get a fuel tube to go through a double barbed screw cover also. That way the hose can move on the bottom if the screen has a weight like my chainsaw has.
You could just Skip the double barb,+ Slip the Plastic Tubing directly onto the Copper,.....<br /><br />But,..... I can't imagine Why you'd Need it.....<br /><br />Properly Cut,+ Fit,.... The End of the Copper Tubing is already In the Perfect Spot,........<br />1/8" to 1/4" from the Bottom of the Tank,.....<br />Cut with a Slight Angle, like Boom says........ ;)

84CJ7

Seaman Apprentice

Ya I think thatll work, I'll hafta see how a 3/8 tube fits on that.<br /><br />I just had concerns about it not flexing to follow the fuel, but then the "soft" tube didn't flex worth a damn either.<br /><br />Hmm a pickup that is actually alchohol proof, imagine that.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........<br /><br />Well,....... Before there was Plastic,..... They were All Copper Tubing..............<br /><br />Btw,......... Gas goes To the Pick-up,...... <br />The Pick-up Isn't supposed to Follow the Gas...........