Need quick help: The Tilt Support Bar on my Etec wont move after tilting engine up, due out tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
You mean a socket wrench? (thats what we call them in Aus/NZ). Which side, the starboard side doesnt have a handle, just the lever, it also has an open bolt, where the port side where the lever is, is flush to the end of the pin/bolt that goes through the engine bracket.

I think you mean the port side where the actual lever is (it has a little rubber handle), this side, the bolt is flush with the end of the lever, not sure how it is held on actually.

When you say impacting, what does this mean in plain english (sorry i know things are lost in english depending on region, funnily enough English is a Western Germanic Dialect)

try a small impact screwdriver with the proper socket size. Being US mad Evinrude it is probaly english measures not metric... ...just try a few sockets with an extension

DEWALT DCF887B 20V MAX XR Li-Ion Brushless 0.25-Inch 3-Speed Impact Driver: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

I never figured out port or starboard... I just go right or left looking forward :) Use the side with the rusted nut ... heat it up and soak it
a few times....

Patience brings joy ....

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I never figured out port or starboard... I just go right or left looking forward :) Use the side with the rusted nut ... heat it up and soak it
a few times....

Patience brings joy ....
haha

The bolt head you see in the picture is not big enough to grab hold of with any socket, it is deceptive with the photo, it is actually flush to the clip which stops it moving too far either way (the shiny metal). So there is nothing for a bolt to get hold of to even turn it. On the other side the bolt head is free and not flush with the support lever on that side (right side) and I could twist that with my fingers.

Neither are rusted, just the one that has the handle attached, it is flush with the end of the bolt, so there is nothing for it to grab hold of.

I think the issue is somebody has tilted the engine down too much and bent one of the supports. Not sure if left or right side, but have undone bolt on right (sarboard) side by hand and it is definitely not the cause, so it must be the left hand side where the actual lever is, that for some reason is not turning easily.

I do not have a service manual so I do not know how to take the port (left hand side) with the handle off of the spindle to check it. ugggh.

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
try a wide blade flat punch and alternately hit the edge of the part to break it free you have nothing to lose now

keep soaking it. I have used Dupont silicon spray with great success on struck parts... it is a water like spray and sweeps in fast by capillary action

by the way seeing it is stuck in that position how would the engine have been lowered so much as to bend a part enough to make this simple engine rest inoperable ??

Like Henri the 8th said.... Off with her head !

Attachments

• handle.JPG
    handle.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 3

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
try a wide blade flat punch and alternately hit the edge of the part to break it free you have nothing to lose now

keep soaking it. I have used Dupont silicon spray with great success on struck parts... it is a water like spray and sweeps in fast by capilary action
Break what free? The silver looking retainer clip? But that isnt meant to move, it is there to stop the lever swinging down too far.

But that is the retainer, it is there to stop the lever swinging too far down or too high.

I can make the lever move with a hammer. Im 100% sure this is something to do with the tilt support levers being tilted down too far. it was moving 100% freely prior to the guy handing it off to me, but he lowered the tilt down really far and when I got it home it was very much stuck, without the use of a hammer.

If only I had a service manual or exploaded parts diagram.

it is not a seized part issue.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class

keep soaking it. I have used Dupont silicon spray with great success on struck parts... it is a water like spray and sweeps in fast by capillary action

by the way seeing it is stuck in that position how would the engine have been lowered so much as to bend a part enough to make this simple engine rest inoperable ??

Like Henri the 8th said.... Off with her head !
So I have undone the nut/bolt slightly on the right (starboard) side, which gave about 1cm clearance from lever to the support bracket, so I hit that with a hammer and the Port side (left) that you have quoted an image of with an arrow popped out about 1cm, so clearly the pin that goes from one side to the other has not seized.

When the person tilted the engine down, they did so until the tilt over ride/clutch engaged, ie err tick errrr tick errr tick noise, so it is my belief the support levers themselves must be bent.

The question is, how do I take the complete lot apart, do I just unscrew the right side and pull from the left/port side where the handle is and it should all just come out?

XS POWER

Seaman Apprentice
Go to crowley marine punch in your serial no for parts diagram,you csn download a service manual for bout 20 bucks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor must be raised to give clearance for that part to rotate with your fingers.-----So have you raised the motor , yes or no ?

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
so here is your 50dplsrc diagram looking at the cross-shaft from the handle to the opposite site I think it is next to impossible to damage that part by excessive lowering the engine because it is way up under the main bracket .... . I suggest you "look" under with the engine

you coul probably see the shaft itself. if so.... spray the shaft sleeves with lubricant and let it soak .

again..... as Racerone suggested raise the engine skeg with a 2x4 if you have to and try to get the handle turning

if success does not come..... take it in to a shop and don't worry ...you are a BOAT owner

B.O.A.T. ===> Break out another thousand they say...

Attachments

• 50dplsrc.JPG
    50dplsrc.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Motor must be raised to give clearance for that part to rotate with your fingers.-----So have you raised the motor , yes or no ?
Answered that twice already, sorry, YES.
Should I replace the pic with the engine raised? So people dont get confused.

Ive managed to hammer it out of that position, and undoing the other side the shaft moves freely from one side to the other. So All I can think of is somebody tilted it down too hard and now its bent.

I do not know how to remove the shaft to pull the lever handle out and inspect both port and startboard side levers etc.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so here is your 50dplsrc diagram looking at the cross-shaft from the handle to the opposite site I think it is next to impossible to damage that part by excessive lowering the engine because it is way up under the main bracket .... . I suggest you "look" under with the engine

you coul probably see the shaft itself. if so.... spray the shaft sleeves with lubricant and let it soak .

again..... as Racerone suggested raise the engine skeg with a 2x4 if you have to and try to get the handle turning

if success does not come..... take it in to a shop and don't worry ...you are a BOAT owner

B.O.A.T. ===> Break out another thousand they say...
Thanks for the diagram. Yes it turns, no the shaft is inside the bracket casing, cannot see from under neath. I do not believe it is seized as the prior person moved it easy as, but when he lowered the engine, I could hear the tilt engine going errr tick errr tick as in he had lowered it as far as the tilt engine would allow which is likely too far and has damaged the support levers themselves some how.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I do not understand the struggle with something so simple.----
What part is simple?

So I can hammer the lever out of place as per the photo attached, but you should not need a hammer to move it. So from picking up the boat to my place it has gotten very stiff, and its not the shaft, im 100% sure it is the support levers. How do I remove them to inspect ?

vtJehV9.jpg

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
People, my Tilt Support Levers have been tilted down too hard and are now too hard to move by hand and need a hammer. How do I fix this? (I wanted to max sure people are aware of what is going on).
vtJehV9.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you are asked if the motor is raised, they also mean can it be raised a little more?

Hit the tilt up button to reduce pressure on the plastic knob. I see the hydraulic cylinder.

Or get a sledge hammer and beat the crap out of it. Seems to be your way.

If you can't flip the lever, you won't be removing the shaft.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When you are asked if the motor is raised, they also mean can it be raised a little more?
It raises as far as any engine is meant to, it tilts to the bottom, no issue there. I believe my image was misleading making people think I was trying to move the lever while I had the engine down hard on it, which was not what I had intended.

haha no sledge hammer here, somebody aske me if I can tap it out so I can lower the engine, which I can, so clearly something on one side or the other has a problem.

it was moving freely until the person lowered the engine the last time, it has been used frequently prior.

the fact I could hear the tilt engine struggling told me they had lowered it too far. But Im not sure which part this could have impacted, unlikely the shaft, i think, but not sure why if the levers have been sandwiched how they would make it so darn hard to move by hand.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
final solution..... cut the head bolt off with a chizel ...end of problem

I never used the darn thing on my 75hp and actually only realized I had one last year !! after 15 years . When I trailer the engine is down on the engine rest (lower)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe the trim / tilt unit can bend that part to damage it.------It has a pressure limiter valve.------Find the real problem.-----Post a picture ( close up ) to show the clearance with trim / tilt full up.

SpearTub

Petty Officer 3rd Class
final solution..... cut the head bolt off with a chizel ...end of problem

I never used the darn thing on my 75hp and actually only realized I had one last year !! after 15 years . When I trailer the engine is down on the engine rest (lower)
Im semi with you there haha. People should never rely on these things when trailering imo, BUT a lot of different brands say they can. I know with yamaha it is not promoted. It is simply for when leaving the engine in a tilted position for periods of time. I have always used a leg support bar which connects to the trailer and supports the leg in a tilted position and is locked by hydraulic tilt so it cannot bounce. I have to say on this particular boat there isnt a section for the prior owner to have attached one of those arm style supports too, although there are wedge style ones. It is too low to be driven with leg fully down.

Yes I know how the tilt support lever works and yes there is plenty of clearance for it to be moving to the left (which is the realease). They are a very simple mechanism, one side has a bolt, the other holds the shaft all the way through to the starboard side where the smaller leaver with the bolt connects.

Im just going to take it apart and try to pull the shaft out and check out what is going wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.