Need Prop Advise

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice
I'm trying to get my "project boat" ready for this summer and need some help picking out a new prop for it. The boat in question is a 89 Searay 20ft Cuddy. Has a 4bbl 4.3 V-6 (205hp??) alpha one. The current prop is an OLD michigan wheel 14.25 X 19 3 blade stainless. The boat is supposed to weight 2350lbs new but I'm sure it's got some waterlogged foam in it somewhere. The holeshot performance is just ok and it tops out at around 37mph on the speedo at 4400RPM. Haven't had a chance to GPS it yet. The boat will be mainly used for watersports and just cruising with a few wide open blasts. Most of the time it'll be just me and the wife with maybe one or two other people.

My question is, would a 4 blade stainless in the same diameter and pitch be to much? Should I step down to a 17 pitch instead of the 19 pitch?

Next question is, what about a 5 blade? I can get one for around $50 more than the 4 blade. I know they look cool but, I'd rather have a prop that performs than look cool. With a 5 blade I know I will prob have to step down to a 17 pitch but, should I go lower than that?

The shop I'm getting the prop from will work with me in getting the right one. Thay said as long as i have the original reciept I can bring the prop back and exchange it for a different one (pitch, diameter, blades) as long as it isn't damaged. Just wanting to get some advise on where to start.

Thanks in advance

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Need Prop Advise

Generally, when you go up in blades, you go down in pitch. So, try the 17" pitch 4-blade . . .

Don't bother with the 5-blade. use the $50 for beer or something.

helimech2003

Seaman Apprentice

Looking at getting the Solas Rubix HR4 from this web site. Anyone have any firsthand experiance with this prop?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Looking at getting the Solas Rubix HR4 from this web site. Anyone have any firsthand experiance with this prop?

Yes, I've had one. They are excellent props. Go down to a 17p and you should see a nice improvement over the current prop when it comes to hole shot, towing / water sports and cruise. Top speed should be about the same +/- 2mph.

It's the same prop as the Solas HR Titan only with the rubex hub kit. A number of reviews, including one by myself, are posted in the prop forum if you do a search.