need powerhead advise mercury 150 hp xri efi

rudedude4

Cadet
I need to replace my powerhead for 1995 merc 150hp xri efi vented block its ugly #6 cyl found many reman options for about 3000 + core found a site for new for 3700 + shipping 200 looking for best options. found 2 vendors here on iboats that seem reputable and price warr. good. just looking for best place to purchase. quality replacement

alfa

Seaman Apprentice
Re: need powerhead advise mercury 150 hp xri efi

I would go for new if you could afford it. And as many have said to me - find out what caused the powerhead to go bad beyond repair before it ruins the new one.
Good luck

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

They are extremely easy to work on and rebuild. You can do the entire job for well under $1500 . Youve got all winter to do it. Or just pay someone else a bunch of money. Your choice.

rudedude4

Cadet

thanks for advice. I am going to pull and disassemble turkey day weekend as I have extra time then.will post again hopefuly find some luck with the cause. it happened very quick with no warning

Dukedog

Captain

Needs ta be looked at by someone that knows what ta look for. This is where tha experience part of a "rebuild" earns its dollars. A windowed (vented) block could take out tha crank plus do a lot more damage than just one hole. A good rebuild could get expensive really quick. Most of tha time a "core" won't fly with a hole in tha block and/or bad crank. Some will at least drastically reduce tha value of tha core. A "quality "rebuild" will have ALL straight, freshly honed clyinders, new rings, pistons, rod and wrist pin bearings (OEM OR LEAST NAME BRAND PARTS). Anything less is just a fix till next time (could be 10 minutes or 10 years) which I can understand when dollars are involved. DO YOUR HOMEWORK................There's lots a jerks out there.

Where are you located?

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Precisely why the only way to know what you are getting is to do the work yourself. These things are as simple as simple gets.

Dukedog

Captain

Agree with that IF ya got a little mech ability and a good oem manual. But ya still need all tha different type of tools it takes ta put it together right. But tha biggy is a good machine shop. That in it self will make or brake tha whole thing............

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

There are no Mercury specific tools found outside of what a half decent equipped home shop would have. A torque wrench and a flywheel puller. Good machine shops abound. Saving the block would be foolish if it threw a rod but He's got 5 god rods and pistons. He needs a 150 block $400-500 at the most for a 2.5 150 block. Sold one last week for half that . A good crank. $400. A rod, A piston, Bearings, gaskets etc. $500. MAYBE a reed cage if it got wiped out in the crash $50 . $400 on a bad day from a good shop if the new block is in good shape and it needs one hole bored like ALL 150 blocks do ( Ruck will do it for less ) . $1800 bucks max.

I'm an engineer and I spend inordinate amounts of time training mechanics and technicians. I firmly believe that anyone can become a competent mechanic with a little coaching.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Also it being a EFI you will need to send the injectors and ECU off to have tested as usually if a EFI "pops" its a fuel issue

Dukedog

Captain

I'm an engineer and I spend inordinate amounts of time training mechanics and technicians. I firmly believe that anyone can become a competent mechanic with a little coaching.

I agree with most of that, but there's ALWAYS tha case of tha Gorilla and tha putter. Your on a computer and not standin' beside 'em. If it was all that simple then no need for tha shops 'cpt for tha folks with all tha dollars. Not arguin' 'bout it but with a catastrophic melt down everything needs ta checked ta determine if its a usable part. Can't be "just looked at" to determine this. Being an engineer you should know this. If any little thing is missed then ya got tha 10 minute, 1800 dollar pile a junk ta do over again. I'm NOT an engineer but I do know tha V6. I bought a new 1750 in '76 then proceeded ta take it completely apart before ever firin' it. I've also bought and/or built just 'bout every High Performance V6 Merc has put out (some tha general public didn't even know about) since '76 and have had only ONE come unraveled on me. Not just anyone can fix and/or make one run.............jmo

Oh yeah. I drive all my stuff with "both" feet on tha floor 90% of tha time so.............its never pampered.

Ruck is done. His "new" guy leaves a little ta be desired. At least with tha last 2 we got back. Not tha machine work but both of 'em were filthy with all tha lubricants and shavings. Something Jim would never let leave his shop.........

Last edited: