Need part # for Carb kit

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I'm getting a little confused... I can't find a carb kit for this motor. Mercury Black Max 150 ser# 6455197. I think it is a 82-83 model. The Carbs have WH-27 stamped on them - maybe a (-1) on top carb. Can't see others. I've seen a lot of carb part #'s starting with WHM and numbers up to 25 then jumping to 28. Can anyone help?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need part # for Carb kit

Yea I've looked there... The model # WH-27 stamped on the top of my carbs isn't listed... May still be the right kit - but I'm looking for some confirmation.

Thanks for the info on the model year - been looking for that site

Laddies

Banned

The kit is only available thru Mercury but the gasket kit is 18-7005 and inlet needle and seats are 18-7233 the combination should get what you need

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Laddies,

I'm learning to depend on the experts on this forum... good for me - maybe too much work for you.

Mercury has a "carburetor repair kit" part#1395-8506 that is approx $80... what's it got to make it so expensive... besides Mercury's name

Also when I pull the carbs it'll be a good opportunity to check the reeds - what am I looking for? Engine runs good - just been lots of years and hours on the engine. Replacement reeds and retainers seem cheap (less than $100). What symptoms indicate reeds need replacement? Poor idle? Today the engine idles pretty good.