Need opinion on repairing a flywheel

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need opinion on repairing a flywheel

Look at my above pictures - it's Motor #3 San Diego for parts.

-- First issue - the flywheel was stuck and had some rust. Gave me a hell of a time to remove and eventually came off causing and finding some damage to inside magnet being stuck to the stator. My solution was to file down and even out the sharp bumps to a gradual smooth finish to avoid damage to the stator it will sit on. The key was also stuck with some rust. It caused a bit of a scratch in the bore but nothing major in fact it cannot be felt simply seen. The bore is in excellent shape as well as the key way. Some rust only.

-- My questions --
1) would there be any issue using this flywheel with the minor magnet damage?
2) should I use the same flywheel key? It has some rust marks.
3) I would like to use motor #3's stator, trigger, coil packs, wire harness and connections including the trigger and throttle tower onto motor #2. Why? Because parts tested ok and everything looks better than my original and better and "properly" installed and labeled. To prevent timing issues perhaps, and to keep very thing together as it is set up now.
4) motor #3 has some extra wires original motor #1 doesn't - such as the red, positive battery wire from the rectifier to the main big wire bracket. It can remain there I just don't have anything coming from the main switch wire harness to it. Is it ok to leave? My original motor #1 has 3 extra wires for the trim motor set up which I don't have so they are taped off at the tip.
5) Could I use the stator even though it has some light rust marks? I used a soft wire brush to remove some of the rust, what's the best way to remove the rust off the stator or even the key and the shaft from motor #2 the good power head?
6) what kind of lube can I use on the trigger where it touches and sits on the engine? Could I use some lube on the outer stator metal contacts? I was thinking of using that little lube used for spark plugs not to stick from auto parts store.
I am trying to be as safe and careful as possible and patient enough to do things right from this new beginning. I have extra gaskets and a new thermostat kit, and complete fuel pump kit. I want to start fresh and new as much as possible.

Desperately need your advice before I move forward!!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

1) would there be any issue using this flywheel with the minor magnet damage?
The chips on the magnet should not be an issue. Go ahead and use it.

2) should I use the same flywheel key? It has some rust marks.
As long as the flywheel key is not deformed, you should be good to go.

3) I would like to use motor #3's stator, trigger, coil packs, wire harness and connections including the trigger and throttle tower onto motor #2. Why? Because parts tested ok and everything looks better than my original and better and "properly" installed and labeled. To prevent timing issues perhaps, and to keep very thing together as it is set up now.You can use the motor#3's parts. Just be prepared to trouble-shoot a possible ignition or maybe other issues. The ignition parts on your motor were functioning fine (once you found the pinched wire). I think you have enough experience now that you will be able to overcome any problem.

4) motor #3 has some extra wires original motor #1 doesn't - such as the red, positive battery wire from the rectifier to the main big wire bracket. It can remain there I just don't have anything coming from the main switch wire harness to it. Is it ok to leave? My original motor #1 has 3 extra wires for the trim motor set up which I don't have so they are taped off at the tip.Just tape off any unused wires for now. You may want to change things at a later date. This leaves you some options.

5) Could I use the stator even though it has some light rust marks? I used a soft wire brush to remove some of the rust, what's the best way to remove the rust off the stator or even the key and the shaft from motor #2 the good power head?You can use the stator, but first check the resistance to make sure it's good. You can use a wire brush, some 400 grit emery paper with some WD-40, CRC, or PB-Blaster or any similar product to remove the rust. I wouldn't bother too much with the rust on the stator. You don't want to damage any of the coating on the stator wires that are wound around the coils.

6) what kind of lube can I use on the trigger where it touches and sits on the engine? Could I use some lube on the outer stator metal contacts? I was thinking of using that little lube used for spark plugs not to stick from auto parts store.Yes the stuff for the spark plugs will be OK, just use a very light coating. There should be no lube on the outer circumference of the stator. That is an air gap between the magnet on the flywheel and the stator.

Anytime you use parts that you have not tested yourself, or have not seen actually working yourself, you stand a chance of introducing a problem, regardless of what someone tells you or guarantees. To minimize this chance, just swap one or two things at a time. This way you minimize the number of parts that you're trouble-shooting if something doesn't work.

Good luck! Hope it all goes well for you!

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's just that I am so tired of making mistakes and fixing issue after issue that now I just want to be extra careful and proactive. I have too much time and money invested on this motor to be impatient and make more mistakes instead of asking. Also because I over do things, over tighten, over lube, over protect and that gets me in trouble.
I'm about to get started putting it all together again right now. Thanks to all my angels.