Need my batteries re-located on my Tracker Pro DV 17

CaptainJuice

Cadet
Hello All,

I'm looking for some guidance for adding another battery to my boat. I have a Tracker Pro Deep V 17. I'm upgrading from the 12v system to a 24v. This boat only has room for the starter battery and one trolling motor battery that is located in the rear. I was wondering if I could use a storage compartment up front to run my new trolling motor. I know that I have been reading about the extra weight problem this might cause and damage to the batteries, so I'm kind of stumped on the new location for either one battery or both. I hope the storage compartment is an option since it would mean less wire to run (need to save money wife is going to kill me after blowing all this cash on my new setup). If anyone has experimented with this your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Juice

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Need my batteries re-located on my Tracker Pro DV 17

What year is your boat? I had the same model, a 1993 Tracker Pro DeepV 17, and there's 2 trolling motor battery compartments in the front casting deck (red arrows)...

254.jpg

CaptainJuice

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I have a 96 with the same setup. The storage compartment on the right is smaller and carpeted, and the one on the left is just a plain box much bigger in size though. There is no vents on either lid. Is it possible to use the one on the left if I put in vents and put in battery boxes?

What year is your boat? I had the same model, a 1993 Tracker Pro DeepV 17, and there's 2 trolling motor battery compartments in the front casting deck (red arrows)...

View attachment 227359

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I rewired my dad's 18' tracker that way it had all three batts in the back and I put both trolling bats and the on board charger in the front because I put a 4 stroke Honda 90 on the back and she was stearn heavy.

If you use agm batts you can get away without batt boxes

Be VERY cautious about possible shorting of the bats against any aluminum deck supports and make SURE you fasten them down very securely. Cheap Chinese plastic won't do.... I used stainless hardware and stainless pop rivets to the bottom and an aluminum hold down on top. I also installed a circuit breaker on the side of the compartment within inches of the batts.

Protect your wires with loom and secure with zip ties and you should be gtg.

CaptainJuice

Cadet

Thanks smoke for replying. I run a 80 on the back and I have to agree that I may be stern heavy as well. I might have to go the cheaper route and do the battery boxes due to cost. I've spent way over my allowance on my TM and fish finder. If i could get by for a couple years with the cheaper batteries then upgrade later that would be great.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The problem is clearance.... I was able to make normal batts work but it was TIGHT
the agm's can be mounted on their side and would be MUCH easier.

I also installed an auto pilot tm and an anchor winch on the bow with a remote control for the winch at the helm... Plus I pre wired for another winch on the stern and another remote at the helm.

Last at the same time we set up GPS/fish finders front and helm with transducer selector switches on the dash.

I definitely feel ur pain on how fast costs can snow ball.... Dad would get a sick look on his face every time I gave home a shopping list.... The cost of wire alone adds up.

I originally put the start batt up front too till he decided the bow was just a little low when he was fishing up there alone.

Since you are already wired for one in the back you might wan to experiment with one front and one rear vs both in the front.

CaptainJuice

Cadet

Sounds good Smoke. I will take some measurements, because I never took in consideration how tight it might get. I have my 60 A fuse, 3 bank charger, and all I need is my 6ga wire and I'll be good to go. What about vents on the hatch lids. Do I need to install some sort of ventilation?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I didn't...... If anything needs vented it would be hydrogen from charging... If you're worried about it you could open the hatch while charging.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Btw a 2 bank charger is all you really need... The engine takes care of the starting batt.

saumon

Lieutenant

I mounted my onboard charger under the console and put a 120v inlet on the front, so it's easy to plug/unplug an extension cord, and put a quick-disconnect plug for the trolling motor at the very end of the bow.
attachment.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainJuice

Cadet

Thanks fellas. Very nice boat saumon. Did you re-carpet the whole boat? I think I will mount my charger in the same area. Did you use the left hatch for both batteries?

Smoke... Okay I will not vent for now unless I run into someone that changes my mind. BTW I think I will benefit from an 3 bank charger so I can keep the starter freshly charged. I only can fish on the weekends so my boat will sit for 2 weeks sometimes. I already have it here might as well throw it in.

Thanks you guys for the help!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

definitely add the remote plug... I did the same on dad's boat and it's great

Also I used heat shrink waterproof connectors on EVERYTHING... I went through the whole boat replacing the el cheapo connectors tracker used.... THOSE add up too LOL

saumon

Lieutenant

Being a 55lbs 12V motor, I only had 1 battery (a large gr.31 deep-cycle) and it barely fit in there, so for a 24V system, you'll likely need the 2 compartments.

For the carpet, only the lower portion was worn so when I stripped the boat, I replaced it with marine vinyl flooring, which is WAY more user-friendly if you do any kind of fishing, and let the original carpet on the raised parts.

Smoke's right on the need for only a 2-bank charger but if you already have a 3-bank, then go for it, it can't harm. At this location, the wiring to the deep-cycle batteries will be an easy, short, straight run but the starting battery in the stern will be much further. The good news is you don't need to run wires back there and you can simply connect the third outlet to the bus bar under the console and that will take care of the starting battery, to top it off.

Last edited:

CaptainJuice

Cadet

Thanks saumon. Well I'll have to dig into it this weekend. i didn't know i could connect right to the fuse box. Cool! I have no idea what fuses do what but I'll figure it out. This is my first boat Thanks for being patient with me. Lots of learning going on.

**Edit**
I read your post wrong. Yes I will have to run some wires to the starter and everything will be all good.

Last edited: